Security Installer Community

Burgled This Week!

DanScotland

The house appears alarmed with contacts on windows / sensors inside, but kicked door through at the back (lower section laminated leaded glass, sensor built into wooden frame) I had popped out at midday and returned at three PM (only planned to be out for an hour max, would I have set alarm? will have to do something, but several alarms go off round here... suppose bell going off would deter burgler from continuing) so apparent alarm did not deter! and Police seem to have an idea who, if only they had description.

what alarm would you suggest ?

would not of getting pass any pir, if one had being fitted.

get somebody in and let them do a risk assessment, do not let cost be an issue, the people who broke in may have had a good look round at your property and may well be back fairly shorty. some alarm companies may be listed on this site under your local police force area.

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

if you are really set on cctv i got my cameras from www.securityinstore.com my cameras are pc based its easy to install and set up and i have never had a problem with them good clear pictures in the day and the security lights on the house light up the area enough to get good pictures at night. the cameras can be installed internally or externally (mine are outside). i think i paid about

pete .................

Any comments/opinions posted are my own and not that of my employers.

Guest anguscanplay
if you are really set on cctv i got my cameras from www.securityinstore.com my cameras are pc based its easy to install and set up and i have never had a problem with them good clear pictures in the day and the security lights on the house light up the area enough to get good pictures at night. the cameras can be installed internally or externally (mine are outside). i think i paid about

if you read my first post i did say i would have an alarm first i dont disagree that cctv isnt as good a deterrant as an alarm but the guy seems set on cctv i too have footage on my laptop and i know it isnt as good as an alarm

pete

pete .................

Any comments/opinions posted are my own and not that of my employers.

you say you are great with the computer ,,, why not

try the internet cameras that plug into your usb

then you can come back on and tell us how the hell

you set them up on the computer

ip adress , sub mask blar blar blar???????

I would be inclined to spend your money on getting your physical security up to scratch, then get your alarm checked over and improved. As others have said fit some ip cameras, that activate on movement and transmit a few seconds before the event and during it.

My view is that the CCTV system should not be a deterrent because you should not IMO mention that you have any CCTV system installed - if your CCTV system is visible, the visitors will simply hide their face in front of the camera just before destroying them...

Having covert CCTV cameras (not necessarily cheap and low resolution so called "spy cameras" - just normal cameras but hidden between some books for example) should help recording the real face of some of the visitors and may lead to their arrestation. But you _really_ need to setup remote recording for the pictures; I have seen many people shouting everywhere that they have CCTV and when I ask where they record they say "in the PC in the master bedroom"... I usually answer "oh yea, the one that the burglars will take with them ?" :whistle:

Be sure to have permanent good lighting conditions as most camera produce a clear picture only if the observed area is well illluminated.

Note that having remote recording does not mean that you do not need to store a local copy of the pictures/movies and to put the recording PC or DVR in a secure place. If they cut the phone line, you'll be happy to find your local copy.

As for alarms, I think that if the siren starts while the intruders are still outside (trying to break in) they may just run away. However if it starts when they already entered the house they may try to grab something in a hurry and put a lot of mess trying to do that. As a result I feel that good perimeter detection is important. You said that you would not have armed your alarm it if you had one - be aware that most burglaries occur at day time at the beginning of the afternoon ! Arming your alarm as soon as you leave your house is important as the bad guys may be observing your house from the outside and waiting for you to leave. They may have been observing you for several days and they may know your habits. Most burglaries are only a few minutes long [according to statistics & local police reports].

Finally, always remember that alarms systems, CCTV and other security systems should only be a backup for a good physical security. Now that you know a weakness of your physical security, you should try to repair it. Also you should try to see if the burglars can find a hiding spot in your property so that once they are in they can stay here without being seen, and take all the time they need to break in. In this case you need to find somehow a compromise between privacy and security.

Now, just a question for my personnal statistics: did they cut anything outside your house before breaking in ? Phone ? Electricity ? ... ?

you say you are great with the computer ,,, why not

try the internet cameras that plug into your usb

then you can come back on and tell us how the hell

you set them up on the computer

ip adress , sub mask blar blar blar???????

usb + tcpip ?????

:question:

man, you need to get a course for network basics!

usb + tcpip ?????

:question:

man, you need to get a course for network basics!

OK looks like the plan is..

1) replace last two single glazed windows with double glazed.

2) fit alarm, ideal would be proximity warning, with entry alarm, (I take it, the proximity bit would be a warning the property is alarmed? not heard of this)

3) when alarm fitted then look at cctv.

as an aside I am going to contact one of the wireless router manufacturers to see / suggest they could have a good product opportunity, as they have sold lots of home units that can handle multiple wireless units, why not utilise them for home security, I do not need to add another 40 computers to my wireless network, but a half dozen or so contact switches and cctv cameras, with good software, would set off alarm, phone you, record images etc.. sounds to obvious..

as an aside I am going to contact one of the wireless router manufacturers to see / suggest they could have a good product opportunity, as they have sold lots of home units that can handle multiple wireless units, why not utilise them for home security,

Well, I expect Georghati will give you chapter and verse on why not, but as a computer and networks person who also knows something about alarms the prospect quite frankly scares me :!:

Archived