Security Installer Community

Burgled This Week!

DanScotland

Having been burgled this week, I am looking to install some cctv..

New double glazed door being put in..

left no prints or evidence, so looking to install cctv, I have wireless broadband, two PC's (laptop got nicked) a spare vcr.

Two (max three) cameras would cover the inside downstairs, not sure benefit of cctv outside, except for deterrent..

outside: short drive / parking (on the right side) garden to the front, door in centre, pathway with gate (metal in arch) at bottom on the right side, left side has fence / gate level with front of house.

Rear has full width patio, with door in middle.

what would you recommend, I am PC literate, can do own electrics cabling, if not wireless, now the real difficult part, currently not working, so would like to install

starter deterrent, then add / upgrade when working, hopefully soon.

or would a working alarm be greater deterrent.. have alarm with box / light outside front, but has never worked since moving in..

Clean suggestions wellcome, I am happy to spend the money to deter / catch the ********

left no prints or evidence, so looking to install cctv,

so you can see hooded yoof's going through ya sock draw?

I say alarm 1st!

I say alarm 1st!

QFA!

i thought people want CCTV first only here where winter is so cold that brains don't melt even at the summer but you seem to have severe weather there too.

I say alarm 1st!

The house appears alarmed with contacts on windows / sensors inside, but kicked door through at the back (lower section laminated leaded glass, sensor built into wooden frame) I had popped out at midday and returned at three PM (only planned to be out for an hour max, would I have set alarm? will have to do something, but several alarms go off round here... suppose bell going off would deter burgler from continuing) so apparent alarm did not deter! and Police seem to have an idea who, if only they had description.

what alarm would you suggest ?

why not get a local alarm company in to check out your alarm that you have installed already they might suggest that you upgrade but they could also get your alarm working ok. i would definately have an alarm before i have cctv as i feel its more of a deterrant.As camerabloke said perhaps have your alarm connected to some kind of dialler that would ring your mobile or a landline if your out and the alarm is set.

pete .................

Any comments/opinions posted are my own and not that of my employers.

Guest anguscanplay

we will change service customers bell box covers every three years or so it keeps them looking fresh and that the system good

in our neck of the woods it is relativly rare to be attacked with aa decent logo`d bellbox on a house exept for a few large flat screen tv going missing but when the alarm activates they leave rather than looking for the rest of your stuff and drivind it away in your own car

cctv just doesnt have the same deterent

most comman time of day for domestic breakin

school rush hour

Sorry to hear about your unwelcome visitor DanS,

Whatever you decide about the alarm situation, you need to consider whether given the crime level locally (or lack of), is there a heightened risk that the 'perp' may pay a return visit, once you've replaced all the stolen goodies.

If I were you, I'd look to install some covert CCTV asap, specifically to gather any recordings of any visitors while you're out, and particularly to secure evidence in the event that anyone manages to gain access at some future date.

There are lots of options to consider, but unfortunately it does all boil down to how much you are able to spend.

"unfortunately it does all boil down to how much you are able to spend."

And whether or not it will be good enough to use as evidence.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Guest anguscanplay
Sorry to hear about your unwelcome visitor DanS,

Whatever you decide about the alarm situation, you need to consider whether given the crime level locally (or lack of), is there a heightened risk that the 'perp' may pay a return visit, once you've replaced all the stolen goodies.

If I were you, I'd look to install some covert CCTV asap, specifically to gather any recordings of any visitors while you're out, and particularly to secure evidence in the event that anyone manages to gain access at some future date.

There are lots of options to consider, but unfortunately it does all boil down to how much you are able to spend.

assume the perp will return give him something to think about

a shiny new alarm

fit the cctv if it will help you feel better me personally i would spend the money on a good holiday

Archived