Security Installer Community

Test Kit

Hi Arfur,

Nice and cheap, but would that be a good item of test kit for an engineer to use in front of a customer? and is it an acurate instrument for the regs.

Before we go on, please not more posts about regs. LOL

Richard :whistle:

www.accesscontrol.ie

richard.huison@accesscontrol.ie

ACT "Where performance counts"

"Is your Access Control system Vista Ready?"

Hi Arfur,

Nice and cheap, but would that be a good item of test kit for an engineer to use in front of a customer? and is it an acurate instrument for the regs.

Before we go on, please not more posts about regs. LOL

Richard :whistle:

hi richard,

the question was "give me a hint" relating to load testing idea's. the lamp load tester is very effective, battery drops quickly change it out. to dispell some bunkham, having done that who needs to know what the output is - its duff? stock batteries will not be fully charged for any useable results to be worth recordin, so who needs a very expensive meter to show a battery is duff? (but i do have an ACE as i love my gadgets ;) )

it was a hell of a lot better than nothing back then, and for those who can not justify or afford buying a battery tester, it will do them proud as any flashing light gizmo always impresses customers, being a 'scientific approach'.

a service guy i worked with on my last firm, he was a really good instal engineer but openly admited he did not have a clue how to read his meter. he always had the biggest swing needle meter he could find (we bought our own which were subsidised). not withstandin, he'd been back 3/4 times to a job and not fixed it, anyone else turned up would be asked "where's john xx, the really clever one with the great big meter is a great engineer, if he can't find it i bet no one else will that meter he's got is magic......... :rolleyes: yet most others would go in and 'kill' the fault 1st visit with simple time honoured techniques, got looked down on because we used small and convenient meters we could both read and interprete, or for fun i'd use a couple of penknives and a bit of flex, and 'taste' the wiring for faults - now thats real 'old school' stuff :yes:

happy days (and watering eyes when it all went to 12 volts)

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Im gutted we didnt bring up the Regs LOL

All i can say, if we were talking to an engineer who was on site and we asked him to test the battery, and he said "Wait a minute, let me get me rusted bulb out of me box" (cant wait for the funny reply's) we would ask one of two questions. 1, Is he taking the "Censored* and 2, Is he taking the *censored*.

Just a thorght LOL

www.accesscontrol.ie

Im gutted we didnt bring up the Regs LOL

All i can say, if we were talking to an engineer who was on site and we asked him to test the battery, and he said "Wait a minute, let me get me rusted bulb out of me box" (cant wait for the funny reply's) we would ask one of two questions. 1, Is he taking the "Censored* and 2, Is he taking the *censored*.

Just a thorght LOL

if it were me - i'd call Angus in for an opinion :whistle:

lol

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

hi adi, one i used for years was simply an interior light from a car (with a festoon bulb), connect across battery with meter on volts, (dissed from panel :rolleyes: ) take a reading, switch light on and watch voltage drop over 1 min or so period.

bit crude but dead cheap, some guys i worked with had a stop and tail bulb with crock leads, small batt use 'tail', big batt use 'stop'

regs

alan

There is a way using a resistor board, ill find it out. The BFPSA have it in there maintenance manual, they even say a battery tester is kack.

How many times have lads on here commented on dodgy readings due to temp and on a thread not long ago you have alter readings for different manafactures.

It seems an expensive ornament if drop testing will show a dodgy battery, after all that is all we need to know.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Guest anguscanplay
if it were me - i'd call Angus in for an opinion :whistle:

lol

regs

alan

in my honest opinion

in the days of the old bs80`s did anybody else swop batteries from one customer to another just so they got their moneys worth from a maintainance visit or was it just a scheme by my dear old dad

joking apart a good meter/battery tester can be used to impart a feeling of confidence to the customer but it still relies on you knowing what the readings are and how you interpret them now some of us old timers tend to rely on our sixth sense with batteries etc and just know from the initial reading if its a good un or not

the best battery tester is the one built into the panel and we cant help the site were the mains cooks the battery two days after a visit :closedeyes:

Surley and engineer in our industry should have a basic idea of what voltage, amps etc are all about, or they should not be even allowed to pick up a screwdriver.

"Bugger, where's me screwdriver" LOL

Richard

www.accesscontrol.ie

best investment was one of the sticks that glows when 240v ac on cable

:lol: in case it doesn't lit it doesn't either prove you that there is no heat on the core.. rtfm ...

Guest anguscanplay
:lol: in case it doesn't lit it doesn't either prove you that there is no heat on the core.. rtfm ...

star wars lightsabre :whistle:

Archived