Security Installer Community

Most Popular Intruder And Access Systems

1_hour_install

Guest Alarm Guard
Are you sure your not getting the delay thing mixed up with the pyronix panels.

No. The last ones I worked with were IIRC the CS350 and CD75/95. and they definitely had a very annoying delay between press and action.

Another thing about the GardTecs this slow thing, you have to wait for it all the time. You can just carry on regardless of what the display says and tear off ahead of it but it puts you off if you hit a wrong button.

i know what you mean about sterling 10 delay they were a nightmare.

Thought you didn't fit Sterling 10's Colin?

Hi all,

What would you say the most widely used intruder alarms are and what are the most widely used access control systems in th UK?

Are there any systems where there is a shortage of people who can program them?

hi '1_hour_instal,

i'd say that is a very subjective question to a large degree, on panel numbers then omnicrom and A1 alarm panels were sold by the bucket loads to sparks and DIY trade through wholesalers and sheds, Texecom, Galaxie, Scantronic and Tunstal, Gardtec all have a large market share with the pro installers. justlike cars we all have our allegence's usually on evenly matched panels just like there is for the astra or focus.

as to people able to program, again subjective. most can handle a small panel, but those expert in say galaxie might have no idea with tunstal, but this alone is not a measure of programming skill's. understanding and implimenting to best effect the features for that client as available on that panel is where that really lay's.

i'd say access control has to be between PAC and Paxton given they are the most common ones i seem to meet, but there are many other makes available like Videx, Raytel & Status etc. who all have public building/council contract approval so vast potential for big market pentration in that area alone.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Finland insurance companies decide - and they have binned the EN50131 as being stupid

And who gave you that info? Did you have a chat with a local beggar in Kallio???

*oops public forum - lots of contents deleted*

- Norway/Sweden likewise.

AFAIK it is/will be the same there than in Finland.

Eastern bloc have absolutely no standards and don't even need the CE.

but if you go enough to east you'll need GOST-R .. :roflmao:

So you see, the UK really is a global enigma with its own breed of homegrown panels that really only score in the UK.

must agree with this thou :yes:

BUT with very few add-ons or alterations at least Gal G3, PX80/500, ATS MASTER(if there'll be enough engineers to program that) could be made usefull if manufacturers would just like to listen - as they are so sure about ultimate UK standards they are not too eager to make any changes..

Popular in the UK in no real order are ADE, Texacom, Pyronix, Scantronic, Visonic and GardTec. Best is always a good argument but the Galaxy still keeps its end up - even after Honeywell sucked the lifeblood out of MicroTech.

Tim

Tim, welcome to the forums.

Get a trade status - I can smell a good heated banter in the trade section of the forums.. :yes:

hi '1_hour_instal,

i'd say that is a very subjective question to a large degree...

i'd say access control has to be between PAC and Paxton given they are the most common ones i seem to meet, but there are many other makes available like Videx, Raytel & Status etc. who all have public building/council contract approval so vast potential for big market pentration in that area alone.

regs

alan

Some products would come under Access Control, others under the heading of Door entry. Not quite the same.

Andrew

It's all about what you are used to isn't it.

I used to fit Aritech all the time, but don't touch them now.

The thing about them that has always given me trouble is that awful delay between button press and response.... unless that has been changed now?

Your right is all about what you are used to..although i said they were not difficult i did'nt say they were complete load of rubbish....thing is its all old technology....give me a menvier or galaxy any day

and oh yes the c.d 72 STILL has the annoying delay and it's the only panel where you cannot use a '0' in the code.....whats all that about??? :whistle:

Some products would come under Access Control, others under the heading of Door entry. Not quite the same.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

with all humble respects to you, i bet i don't see many of your systems as they are far too well made and reliable.

the op was asking for intruder and access control panels, PAC seem to have the quedos like chubb has for locks, and HP for laser printers. there may be better products out their, but you know what i mean about publics perception.

i define access control as requiring 'intellegent electronics' to control access events, door entry only require's human intervention by picking up a handset and talking, so by definition door entry operation is non-intelligent :whistle:

i did not mean or intend to tread on any toe's :banned:

regs

alan

Hi Andrew,

with all humble respects to you, i bet i don't see many of your systems as they are far too well made and reliable.

the op was asking for intruder and access control panels, PAC seem to have the quedos like chubb has for locks, and HP for laser printers. there may be better products out their, but you know what i mean about public's perception.

i define acces control as requiring 'intellegent electronics' to control access eents, door entry only require's human intervention by picking up a handset and talking, so by definition door entry operation is non-intellegent :whistle:

regs

alan

Hi Alan

No worries, no toes trod on. PAC do, or perhaps did, have the lions share. I also find there can be a certain amount of regional variation. That is, Nth East installers having a preference for a local manufacturer, Sth East the same etc. We are based in Dublin, so no marks for guessing the popular brand in Ireland.

Whilst not a definitive guideline, the main Distributor catalogues are a good indicator of the more readily available systems.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

the op was asking for intruder and access control panels, PAC seem to have the quedos like chubb has for locks, and HP for laser printers. there may be better products out their, but you know what i mean about public's perception.

i define acces control as requiring 'intellegent electronics' to control access eents, door entry only require's human intervention by picking up a handset and talking, so by definition door entry operation is non-intellegent :whistle:

regs

alan

So would a door interlocking system with keypads and handsets still be Door Entry?

PS get a spell checker when i look at your posts they are mostly highlighted in red :P

cheers

So would a door interlocking system with keypads and handsets still be Door Entry?

PS get a spell checker when i look at your posts they are mostly highlighted in red :P

cheers

hi OH,

an interlock with keypads imo would be classed as access control, as it's dumb electronics's enforcing a protocol in order to gain entry.

as to spelling and diction, the forum online spell checker is very 'hap hazard' as to when it wants to work or not for some reason (and i have posted on this recently), but would you prefer perfectly spelled B/Sh^t or typo's containing real and honest inner thoughts?

there are many on here, including (by me at least) highly respected mod's, who mis-spell or have bad even atrocious grammar, but this is a security forum, not an 'English language' exam. their experience and expertise like yours and mine is not devalued by spelling or diction mistakes, and as such is not part of the trade qualification/induction exam either to gain trade status in the forum.

but if you want, i will run each and every one of your post's via word and point out your missed punctuation, grammar and spelling mistakes.

when one is within a glass house, it's best to avoid throwing stones imo, so treat others as human even if that is an untenable thought regarding just me ;) .

regs

alan

Archived