Security Installer Community

Burning Dvd's I Own

integrafire

I recently upgraded my pc to incorporate a DVD burner (impressed i know you are) and have since discovered i cannot burn any copyrighted dvd's to my hard drive. The way i understand is when you buy copyright material you are permitted to copy it onto your computer as a 'backup' so long as you have the original. Is this true and is there some software that will allow me to do this LEGALLY. I do not want to do anything illegal, but was just wondering on the implications.

I recently upgraded my pc to incorporate a DVD burner (impressed i know you are) and have since discovered i cannot burn any copyrighted dvd's to my hard drive. The way i understand is when you buy copyright material you are permitted to copy it onto your computer as a 'backup' so long as you have the original. Is this true and is there some software that will allow me to do this LEGALLY. I do not want to do anything illegal, but was just wondering on the implications.

As I understand it software writers often allow a single copy for "backup", however with the advent of software piracy ... (just checkout eBay!) many software companies have written their software with copyright protection rather than leave it to trust. There are programmes available to "rip" the software but I guess that if the software is produced in such a way that it's difficult to do it, then safe to assume that the company doesn't want you to do it and I believe DVD's are more likely to present this challenge than CD's.

2: Software piracy in strictly prohibited:

Rationalize it all you want, piracy is stealing. There shall be: No Warez Software, or other copies of copyrighted material.

This includes linking to, posting about, and suggesting ways of obtaining illegal software and/or other copyrighted materials such as scans from magazine articles. Posting such information may also result in your posting privileges being revoked. Furthermore, we will not tolerate postings that encourage people to violate copy protection by referring them to sites that have copyright protected articles publicized and/or illegal software. Any such post will be removed from our forums and your membership and posting privileges will be revoked as soon as we find the offensive post.

- No posting links to sites containing pirated software

- No requesting 'cracks', 'warez', copyrighted MP3's or Movies for download

This is not to say that you cannot speak of piracy and its implications in the software industry and the internet. Debates are encouraged.

if you want to listen to your music on your phone like an ipod then windows will 'rip' to hard drive for you.

i have mixed feelings on 'piracy', on the one hand i think the authors should get their hard earned due's, but on the other i have bought very expensive programs which proved were not any good or had glitches to be beyond operational. so if possible i will try a borrowed program for assessment, and then buy the original if i'm impressed, and that go's for music to.

i don't want to watch enough films to bother with piracy, they are soon out on pucker cd's these days, so any worth waiting for to watch i do so on my home cinema set-up without background clapping and laughter or the kiora lady walking in front.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

You need some free downloads, 2: Software piracy in strictly prohibited:

Rationalize it all you want, piracy is stealing. There shall be: No Warez Software, or other copies of copyrighted material.

This includes linking to, posting about, and suggesting ways of obtaining illegal software and/or other copyrighted materials such as scans from magazine articles. Posting such information may also result in your posting privileges being revoked. Furthermore, we will not tolerate postings that encourage people to violate copy protection by referring them to sites that have copyright protected articles publicized and/or illegal software. Any such post will be removed from our forums and your membership and posting privileges will be revoked as soon as we find the offensive post.

- No posting links to sites containing pirated software

- No requesting 'cracks', 'warez', copyrighted MP3's or Movies for download

This is not to say that you cannot speak of piracy and its implications in the software industry and the internet. Debates are encouraged. although I cannot condone that sort of thing :whistle:

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

if you want to listen to your music on your phone like an ipod then windows will 'rip' to hard drive for you.

And, technically, even that is illegal in the UK. I believe there are discussions in the music industry on how to allow it for "personal" use.

According to my research:

"The UK's Copyright, Designs and Patents Act of 1988, among other things, makes it illegal to make copies of CDs, DVDs or videos even for personal use."

Its quite an issue really. I have bought pirate cd's in places like thailand while visiting my lady man friend but if i really like a cd i always buy the original as i am a bit of a wilf when it comes to owning originals. I have in the past downloaded free tracks and bought the album as a consiquence. The Arctic Monkeys are a perfect example of how free music downloading can be manipulated to an artists advantage.

I do however disagree on alll out theft from an artist.

According to my research:

"The UK's Copyright, Designs and Patents Act of 1988, among other things, makes it illegal to make copies of CDs, DVDs or videos even for personal use."

as far as i'm aware one copy is allowed for personal use (this is often quoted on radio stations), but you must be in possession and ownership of the original, so if you flog or give away you original collection you should destroy your copies

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

as far as i'm aware one copy is allowed for personal use (this is often quoted on radio stations), but you must be in possession and ownership of the original, so if you flog or give away you original collection you should destroy your copies

regs

alan

That's how I understand it, if you own the original you can make a personal backup copy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

Any right to make a personal backup copy will be written into the copyright terms of the product - it is wrong to generalise on a legal issue.

Good advice. Every CD and DVD I have has a specific copyright statement on it prohibiting unauthorised copying.

If anyone thinks there is some sort of "personal backup" right they should produce some evidence; assumption can be dangerous.

There are some limited "fair use" rights to copy some publications in part, e.g. in libraries or for research etc., but not every publisher subscribes to them anyway.

The Gowers Review of Intellectual Property was published in December 2006, you can read it here:

http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk./media/583/9..._report_755.pdf

Here is a quote from the foreword:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not think the system is in need of radical overhaul. However, taking a holistic

view of the system, I believe there is scope for reform to serve better the interests of consumers and industry

alike. There are three areas in which the Review concentrates its recommendations to improve the UK

framework for innovation:

Archived