Security Installer Community

Burning Dvd's I Own

integrafire

Any right to make a personal backup copy will be written into the copyright terms of the product - it is wrong to generalise on a legal issue.

As I understand it we were talking about CD/DVD/Video, I don't know of anyone locked up or fined for copying material they already own as a back up.

If that were the case then "all" hard drive back up software would be illegal including every copy of Windows XP with restore turned on.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Life is like a box of chocolates, some bugger always gets the nice ones!

My Amateur Radio Forum

It's not so much the physical side of whether you can or can't, it's the legal side of it.

I could go out now and run someone over, or beat them to death. Just because I can doesn't make it legal.

not really as installation is allowed under the EULA. Also with xp and on if your 'ghosted' the drive and put it in a different machine xp would need to be re-activated unless it was a corporate licence version.

AFAIK you cannot copy cd's for music and software, which is why some of them you just cant (the official burning software blocks it) and why MS for instance will send you disks FOC as long as you have the licence.

It's still a copy, is a copy, always will be a copy. You can't change that fact.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Amateur Radio Forum

quite possibly, but is allowed in the EULA and copying isnt

EULA of Windows or every product you ever install on a pc? I think not!

My Amateur Radio Forum

luggs i was suing windows as an example as someone else did, no your quite right and any software i release can be copied as much as you want!

If you already own it and it's for backup. :rolleyes:

My Amateur Radio Forum

EULA of Windows or every product you ever install on a pc? I think not!

Software is different in so many ways to music or film.

For a start it's usually down to individual companies to define their own terms, so you have to read the licence to know what is and isn't permitted. There are few if any common rules and (as far as I know) nothing equivalent to the PRS for example.

For another most software is licensed to USE; you don't own it, only the media (if any) that you bought it on. So the whole concept of "copying" is not really the right way to look at it.

Then there's the difference between the installation/setup software/media and the actual installed/operational copy. Not to mention the "executable" copy on disk and the "executing" copy in memory.

And so on..............

Software is different in so many ways to music or film.

For a start it's usually down to individual companies to define their own terms, so you have to read the licence to know what is and isn't permitted. There are few if any common rules and (as far as I know) nothing equivalent to the PRS for example.

For another most software is licensed to USE; you don't own it, only the media (if any) that you bought it on. So the whole concept of "copying" is not really the right way to look at it.

Then there's the difference between the installation/setup software/media and the actual installed/operational copy. Not to mention the "executable" copy on disk and the "executing" copy in memory.

And so on..............

As I understand it we were talking about CD/DVD/Video, I don't know of anyone locked up or fined for copying material they already own as a back up.

If that were the case then "all" hard drive back up software would be illegal including every copy of Windows XP with restore turned on.

I would be interested to know if many EULA agreements state that making any sort of backup is prohibited, this as I stated would make restore on windows a breach of copyright, as I said a copy is a copy, how it's used is another point again, it's use for this arguement was personal backup. Copyright law may "say" one thing but to exclude the right to make a personal backup copy of a CD/DVD/Video you already own may be unlawfull to start with. All these things can be tested in court for case law to apply, as I said does anybody know anybody who has been fined or proscuted for copying a DVD/CD/Video they already own for personal backup?

My Amateur Radio Forum

I would be interested to know if many EULA agreements state that making any sort of backup is prohibited

Most that I have seen (hundreds!) explicitly provide for backups in various forms.

(I spent about 5 years recently with my dominant work activity as a software licensing expert advising multinationals in case you doubt my opinion)

Most that I have seen (hundreds!) explicitly provide for backups in various forms.

(I spent about 5 years recently with my dominant work activity as a software licensing expert advising multinationals in case you doubt my opinion)

Ha! So you can make backups! Thank you. :skippy:

My Amateur Radio Forum

I recently upgraded my pc to incorporate a DVD burner (impressed i know you are) and have since discovered i cannot burn any copyrighted dvd's to my hard drive. The way i understand is when you buy copyright material you are permitted to copy it onto your computer as a 'backup' so long as you have the original. Is this true and is there some software that will allow me to do this LEGALLY. I do not want to do anything illegal, but was just wondering on the implications.

PM sent

Dave

Archived