Security Installer Community

Auto Iris Lens Control

sonycamera

sonycamera,

Just to clarify a couple of points ... if your lens has a lead coming out of it, then it has an iris which is automatically adjusted in response to changes in light level; if there are a couple of small holes on the outside of the lens (usually marked ALC and Level), then it is an Auto Iris (video) lens with it's control circuitry built in. If it is relatively small and doesn't have any externally adjustable controls, then it is a Direct Drive (DD) lens that is adjusted by the camera.

If you are only looking a distance of 5 metres with what sounds like a Dennard 715nM IR lamp, then that should be quite workable. The problem you describe is the light reflecting off someones face, causing the camera / lens to overcompensate, and so everything else looks dark.

To be honest, for what you are trying to do with the Dennard lamp, you could probably use a 12v LV bulb from Homebase or B&Q or the like, rather than the more expensive plated reflector bulbs that some manufacturers use. It may be worth trying either a flood bulb, or a medium coverage bulb, and then turn the lamp to reflect off a suitable surface nearby (perhaps a brick wall or a hedge or something similar).

If you are able to reflect an even light coverage, rather than an intense 'beam' the quality of the image should improve, but you may well have to adjust the lens (as jameswilson has described) to get the best effect. If you can post back with more specific details of the lens, then we can probably advise you accordingly.

Incidentally, the fact that you are getting a white out on a persons face, suggests that the camera is sensitive to IR at the lower frequencies, but as it appears to struggle with the LED lamp, then it appears to be far less sensitive at higher IR frequencies.

Hope this all makes sense :unsure:

If you can post a picture of the camera body that may help us out.

Thanks for that,, you must be reading my small very feeble mind. I think the attachment I posted with the spec on attached ok and I will take the camera down and take a few digital picts on Saturday,,, Thanks

post-11112-1168790154_thumb.jpgpost-11112-1168790135_thumb.jpgpost-11112-1168790145_thumb.jpgpost-11112-1168790118_thumb.jpgpost-11112-1168790108_thumb.jpg

Thanks for that,, you must be reading my small very feeble mind. I think the attachment I posted with the spec on attached ok and I will take the camera down and take a few digital picts on Saturday,,, Thanks

Hello again my friends... Well I hope I can manage to attach 6 pictures of the camera and lens.I couldn't get a very good picture of the back of the camera so I have drawn a rough sketch showing what is what.

Now if Ihave been taking in half of what you have told me already, I reckon my lens is a video lens and that means my camera setting should be on video and not dc which is what its on at the moment, maybe that all completely wrong ,, but I am trying to understand,

Thanks again for taking the trouble.

I dont recodnise the cam but think its a cheapy one.

If your using a dd lens then you need to adjust the level pot to stop the faces whiting out. i would alos ensure both your dip switches are off

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

Not sure how you got to that conclusion?

But there are 5 pictures uploaded.

Sorry this is the first time I have used this forum,, I can view 3 pics but not sure how I see the other 2

The lens is an Emitec couldn't see any small holes in the side,, strange to me but whilst I was up the ladder i zoomed out from my front gate so that could see more of my drive and the illumination seems a little better with the new lamp in the dennard.

So that I have it clear, are we saying that there is nothing I can do to get the cam to see the LED illuminator,, I must admit I didn't hold the LED in front of the camera,, but if you say I need to check that then I will do.

Sorry this is the first time I have used this forum,, I can view 3 pics but not sure how I see the other 2

The lens is an Emitec couldn't see any small holes in the side,, strange to me but whilst I was up the ladder i zoomed out from my front gate so that could see more of my drive and the illumination seems a little better with the new lamp in the dennard.

So that I have it clear, are we saying that there is nothing I can do to get the cam to see the LED illuminator,, I must admit I didn't hold the LED in front of the camera,, but if you say I need to check that then I will do.

what a prat I am , I only had to move my screen tab to see the otehr pics,,,,,,,,,,,, :bruce_h4h:

what a prat I am , I only had to move my screen tab to see the otehr pics,,,,,,,,,,,, :bruce_h4h:

lol, I was about to suggest that!

Adjust the level pot on the back of the camera, not the lens itself.

Archived