Security Installer Community

Spiders.....

sparkydom

Thanks for the replies,

Think I'll have a look at the optex and the prestige QD. Either that or find an old women who smells of cat P**s and mothballs!!

Or Prestige compacts, smaller for domestic and well reliable.

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi

Happy new year to you all. a bit late i know!

Just wondered what pir is prefered by you all for installs prone to false alarms from spiders. (domestic installs where spiders have been found crawling over pir lens. admittedly old response pir fitted previously!)

Also, how do you all rate the texecom prestige range of pir's. have bought a few quads and a dt to try but not had the time yet

cheers

Dom

what ever detector you go for here are a few pointers:

It must detect an intruder

firm case so that it won't distort when its mounted in a wonky corner

big lens so that a spider on the front of the lens won't Cross too many zones

Seal all holes ie screw and cable with rs non corrosive silicon sealant

on board filtering ie pulse count or whatever they decide to call it but do remember the first point above

if all else fails use pyronix tmd 15 in tri mode they are good but big and ugly

if all else fails use pyronix tmd 15 in tri mode they are good but big and ugly

Have to agree here, tri-mode is a very useful weapon to have in the installers armoury.

me again, same question......

My client is obsessed with the whole idea of spiders causing false alarms

He apparantly has 2 to 3 f/a's a week. I put it down to **** response pir's, poor positioning and a system which looks like stevie wonder and ray charles fitted it. (not one of mine by the way)

anyway, to settle his concerns.........Is there any way of preventing spiders that (apparantly) crawl across the exterior lens of a pir causing an alarm condition.

He has been scanning the net and keeps mentioning optex sequads and crow pir's, but the models mentioned are for confirmed detection (i.e. two detectors with different coverage in one enclosure). I have never had problems with this before, so am putting it down to his current install.

hey ho, customers..........

Thanks for reading

Dom

big enough spider across the lens will affect any sensor.

Just like an elephant at 15m will activate it

but why not go the dualtec route, would have to be a mamoth spider and if it were that big id want my alarm to go of before it crushed the chairs!!!

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

big enough spider across the lens will affect any sensor.

Just like an elephant at 15m will activate it

but why not go the dualtec route, would have to be a mamoth spider and if it were that big id want my alarm to go of before it crushed the chairs!!!

:roflmao:hitit

nah that was a road side bomb.

i reakon they eat the wmd!!!

that is huge!!!!

Its actually two camel spiders ones eating the other. In the desert they chew into you, but you don't feel a thing as they inject a natural Novocain into you as they eat you. You wake up with half your arm/leg/face eaten off and not feel anything.

Sweet dreams

cheers

Ps thats all a story

Here are the facts camel spiders the truth

Aww, aint they cute,

They are not a proper spider, they are Solpugids.

Still members of the arachnid family but not a proper spider.

Theres some pics of my spiders in the gallery, some of those are bigger than the Solpugid pic above (Solpugids only grow to six inches).

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

You guy's crack me up! :gimme: But, Is this problem with the PIR still going on? If so, I may have an idea. Does it false in particular time frame? We all know that PIR stands for Passive Infra-red Receiver. Are there any other heat signatures it could be receiving? Sun light on window, heat vent, etc.

Ran service on a golf course pro shop once that had a PIR by an overhead door in the basement of the club house protecting carts. About three months after install, (installed in mid-summer) the PIR began falsing. As the days got colder, the more it falsed. They went through a entire company of service techs. No one could figure out the issue. Finally they sent me, the ol' fatman out there. It was about two a.m.,they're closed, I'm sitting under the motion trying to keep my eyes open, then it started. The next trip was about 45 minutes, after that about every half hour. I couldn't find a thing! I thought I was going nuts! Here's the scoop, it wasn't falsing with the heater, but just across the overhead door, IN the opposing wall, was a four inch hot water feed for the radiators up stairs! All I can figure is when that steam feed would start to flow, it would heat the wall so fast that it looked like movement to the PIR. IT (the wall) would get HOT to the touch. I extended the cable and mounted the same motion on the opposing wall (with the pipe). The falsing stopped, the coverage was good and TAH DAH! It worked like a champ! But, we figured it had to be bugs, then bad PIRs, and on and on. But what kept me going was, it worked for the first three months! There had to be some other issue!

(Sorry, one of my favorite stories) - Russ

Hi All,

Russ's story shows you don't need the latest test hi tech weapons in your arsenal or even massive know how, the sheer value of common sense and using observation are all very powerful tools.

where i used to work for, a system in London kept falseing on 2 pir's, several new units fitted, lots of discussion and head scratching then panel changed, then 2 x supervisors another pir change, then manager, more head scratching. i offer several times - but get 'your only the new guy' (like i'm some sort of novice :rolleyes: ).

finally the service controller is so fed up with the client's by now regular abuse, in desperation he decides to take matters into his own hands say's (F'@) the supervisors and send's me as a last ditch attempt. obviously, i'm right on my metal i have to get a result or be deemed just another 'wally'. so i started out afresh and decided to inspect inch by inch the whole cable run real close up, i expected to find rodent damage, boy did it wiggle about the building but no damage. finally found it went through the wash rooms, in there was one of those big M/F gas boiler/geyser's size of a an apollo rocket motor, the wire i discover was buried under aertex and had been run behind it, and sspotted it likely lightly squashed by the hot water outlet pipe, run up the boiler and bingo got the short.

that wire must have been there for years, and obviously not replaced in the update by the instal engineer, over time due to heat and vibration it got rubbed through. if the geyser was run for an extended time it shorted on the core's, and it served a flat as well as the tobacconists shop. if they run the bath for instance the pipe expanded and caused a short of went the alarm. by the time our guys got there it had obviously cooled and so removed the short - the sub never mentioned the coincidence to anyone. the heat from the pipe dried out any damp in the wall, so no earth gave away any clue and so be traced.

the alarm i found out from the client during my usual gentle interegation disguised as chat, had been upgraded due to false alarms about a year previous, it had been all quiet for 6 months through summer and started playing up. now by luck, chance, intuition whatever i get it on the first 'pop' and within an hour of walking through the door and proved the fault conclusively - yes me the 'new guy'.

i'm not claiming to be 'special' but have a very pedantice way about me and the way i do things, and really i admit i just got 'lucky'. but how embarresing was that for the supervisors and manager, and did the service controller and i revel in it - ooooh deeeeaar!. you just bet yourself we did at every chance :yes::yes: probalby why i never made 'super' ;) .

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

..... zzzzzzzzzzzz

sudden trouble with you zipper James?

seems no matter what i do, inform, advise, ammuse, question or correct - i'm always going to be wrong. so this forums members seem in a way to have become an extension or my relashionship with the 'ruling half'.

so, i have decided on taking the same stance based 'you can't please all the people all the time - and those you can't it's just not worth bothering with' so i shall ignore such remarks dear boy.

:)

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived