Security Installer Community

Porch Surveillance

Map Security

thanks for this post as it made very interesting reading to me.

several of the reasons stated as being why it's not recommeneded practic, seem to me to be aimed more at mains carrying cables's ....

no means of surport??

screwfix

10m kit.

Had this set, snapped a rod the first day, there ideal for passing cables in a roof space etc, where its a straight run. The super rods are alot more flexible and the mega set contains various thickness rods. I also purchased the "glider" attachment as this makes passing cables over joists etc a breeze.

lol , its aginst the regs, that is its against the regs, its not optional. period, whatever cable, voltage or use

james

hi james,

not sure why you say that, like i said look at the words used i.e. 'should' used instead of 'must', a whole differece in potency and authority. 'should' implies indevidual interpretation allowed or unsure of, 'must' has no room for latitude and is forceful or a no nonsense directive.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

The only part that I can see would apply to lv cables is the damp transference. However, doesnt damp travel along a cable if it is passed through both the inner and outer walls anyway? I cant see any reference to that not being allowed.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I have a residential property that requires driveway and porch CCTV coverage!

At night the driveway is very dark so I'm left with little alternative but to use IR - Will use 1/3" 480line IR cams which will be mounted under the eves of 2 storey house.

Also i need to have porch covered so a 3.6mm dome style will be fine as theres a PIR/light closeby - my problem is that the customer does not want any cable showing........The walls are cavity and the DVR is in the loft....what solution would you offer???

The house is a new style redrow ,no more than 5yrs old....

trunking lid,a bit of bottle and a bit of luck..experience also helps....

lol , its aginst the regs, that is its against the regs, its not optional. period, whatever cable, voltage or use

james

so a bell cable does not pass into the cavity to outside wall then...

Its possible to pass the cable down the cavity, but I've found that in many new build properties the insulation is tightly packed in so impossible to get through.

Best thing I've ever purchased though for this sort of job is a set of rods from www.super-rod.co.uk I've got the mega set. If you attach the cable to the "chain", then pass this through a hole into the cavity, Its possible to pass the rods down through the cavity via the loft and use the magnet attachment to attract the chain, works a treat!

a 16mm wood bit welded to a long piece of threaded rod(get a welder to do that bit) then drill straight down between the joists...check for radiators and sockets first... :whistle:

what about if its a concrete floor then a wood bit would not be any good would it?? :whistle:

:ranting:

id stop at the floor...generally a cavity is between a floor and a ceiling,(write it down in case you forget) i doubt the floor up from a new redrow home is concrete,but hey you never know.... :whistle:

a 16mm wood bit welded to a long piece of threaded rod(get a welder to do that bit) then drill straight down between the joists...check for radiators and sockets first... :whistle:

Do what?

id stop at the floor...generally a cavity is between a floor and a ceiling,

Can't say as I've ever seen one that stops between floors. It'll be from the bottom to the top of the property. I can get from the apex of the roof to the garage floor in one drop down the cavity, as could anyone else on here.

Do what?

Can't say as I've ever seen one that stops between floors. It'll be from the bottom to the top of the property. I can get from the apex of the roof to the garage floor in one drop down the cavity, as could anyone else on here.

1st quote....try it

2nd quote...not all cavity walls are external...the internals do stop between floors...

Archived