Security Installer Community

Porch Surveillance

Map Security

dont see the problem myslef its between two bircks and also its 12 v dc or 24v ac max nOT 240v so wheres the problem

regs colin

the voltage is not the issue the fact the cable is not permitted to be there, next you will be tellling us you drill hole is joists where you please :rolleyes:

Unlike the alarm trade NIC EIC & BSI do allsorts of idiot guides with right pretty pictures explaning how to do the job to the standards......

look right pretty pictures........

hi Mr Happy,

thanks for this post as it made very interesting reading to me.

several of the reasons stated as being why it's not recommeneded practic, seem to me to be aimed more at mains carrying cables's than low voltage. look the reference to overheating of cables at lower current levels due to thermal insulating materials, what alarms and camera's draw is miniscule.

generally there is a lot of use of the words 'should not' but this use suggests it's not mandatory, if it was then they would have used the words 'must not'. so perhaps some latitude is allowed (or at least you could claim so, if ever taken to task in court) as to say to someone 'you should not kiss your mother-in-law' don't mean they can't kiss her - no matter how sick it makes them.

the one that really is likely to be of issue is cable damage when drawing the cable in, but this applies to most situations with long runs, and is part of the engineers training, skill level and care. yanking cables though conduit is surely far more stressful even using cable lube, alarm cables have far more likelyhood of being streched and so stress damaged when several are pulled together in a tube, than in any cavity situation other than dropping down 5 or so more floors.

i don't subscribe to the damp theory, the cable is not introducing the problem and lets face it is unlikely to happen in more than say 2% of buildings to a degree to cause damage, the fault is either already there or happens later and should be remedied as such. as for the plastersiser affecting the cable it would have to lay in a pool of it, but it dries out after use and i have never seen it happen in my time in the industry.

if it was such a problem the wiring via the cavity to light switches and sockets would be banned, so seems to me at least a strange thing to try to enforce.

i bet someone wants to mention 'tanked' rooms but then that is a special situation.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

lol , its aginst the regs, that is its against the regs, its not optional. period, whatever cable, voltage or use

james

OK Thx James....lets get back to the point....how would you link porch cam to DVR in loft??

I don't think "chasing the wall" is an option......Would you go down conduit option instead?

Its possible to pass the cable down the cavity, but I've found that in many new build properties the insulation is tightly packed in so impossible to get through.

Best thing I've ever purchased though for this sort of job is a set of rods from www.super-rod.co.uk I've got the mega set. If you attach the cable to the "chain", then pass this through a hole into the cavity, Its possible to pass the rods down through the cavity via the loft and use the magnet attachment to attract the chain, works a treat!

I contacted supa rod via ebay and gave a best offer of

Archived