Security Installer Community

Setting Up In The Cctv Game Now Prices Are Falling??

Russell

Out of curiosity what does you use?

Cat5 and Buluns? This should reduce cost due to Copper cable beings v.expensive.

Top spec. cameras. A lot of cameras use SONY CCD so are you paying top wad for the cameras when you could use something as good for less?

For reference is that install was to take 2 men 1 day, I would charge approx.

Just trying to do my job

2500 wtf?? MY dvr costs that

There was a time when DM kit was the mutts but not anymore. I would say such kit is overpriced and not as reliable as the budget kit i fit. Im not saying its **** but it isnt as special (if thats the right word) as it once was. I wouldnt consider using it anywhere now unless it was specced!

ok then ian, thanks for that, im obviously having a bad day, offending people i respect and picking the wrong kit. I have always rated the digi spites and the bewator recorders, but yes they are v expensive. May i ask what you use as your standard dvr, not what you use on a budget, and not what you would like to use but what you generally fit most of?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

I dont have a standard DVR so to speak, it would depend on the needs and budget.

Higher spec systems would be DVR365 or near equivalent, that would be my first choice and then depending on situation i buy from Dynamic CCTV.

I do a lot of sub-contract work and get to see some of the expensive machines in action and i cant say im impressed by many of them. Off the top of my head i have recently fitted 4 digi sprites, 2 of them were knackered out of the box. Maybe 12 Intellex and 2 of them have been duff, a few Dallmiers with no problems but not impressive, the DVR365 is better.

The fact that DVR365 is now being installed in some City Centre Control Rooms proves a lot, Digi Sprites are now too expensive and in my experience a bit unreliable but then again i can see why you would use them.

i have had a couple of hard disks die on digi sprites but usually when they are over 3 yr old. Had 1 faulty out of the box, but the red thing was broke before the lads opened it!! Im concerned we might not be using the right dvr but dont tend to changfe from something we dont have issues with. Plus i wont add just add anything to the approved equipment list as we have to support it. And i want to know everything about it. How many different dvr's do you support then?

And in your opinion is this 365 thing worth me looking at?

securitywarehouse Security Supplies from Security Warehouse

Trade Members please contact us for your TSI vetted trade discount.

For myself over the last 4 years ive only installed maybe 2 or 3 DVR's from COP, swift learning curve there! Then the odd Videoswitch and mainly Dynamic untill recently, ive never had a Dynamic unit fail me yet, 1 duff fan and a duff bnc connection in over 3 years of using them.

I wouldnt say you would be a fool to overlook the DVR365 but its getting that way. For what you pay for a sprite you could maybe buy 2 fully loaded units and still charge them out at a better margin, much more DVR for your dosh!

Incidently, the 4 way triplex with compact flash from Dynamic is a cracking good DVR for coverts and domestics.

For myself over the last 4 years ive only installed maybe 2 or 3 DVR's from COP, swift learning curve there! Then the odd Videoswitch and mainly Dynamic untill recently, ive never had a Dynamic unit fail me yet, 1 duff fan and a duff bnc connection in over 3 years of using them.

I wouldnt say you would be a fool to overlook the DVR365 but its getting that way. For what you pay for a sprite you could maybe buy 2 fully loaded units and still charge them out at a better margin, much more DVR for your dosh!

Incidently, the 4 way triplex with compact flash from Dynamic is a cracking good DVR for coverts and domestics.

Agreed

We now only fit dynamic DVRs and we have never had any faulty units yet. We are buying about 3 / 5 units a month.

Yes Ian the small 4 way with the flash card is very good for the money. We have also fitted loads of the Jpeg 2000 16ch 500gig units and also find them spot on for the price.

We can still make a good proffit on the job and be far cheaper than the people quoting DM stuff.

The only problems i have had is with sticking iris on the day night domes. But a quick phone call to Paul and the units are replaced next day no questions asked.

Good kit, Quality service Thats what we get from Dynamic.

Agreed

We now only fit dynamic DVRs and we have never had any faulty units yet. We are buying about 3 / 5 units a month.

Yes Ian the small 4 way with the flash card is very good for the money. We have also fitted loads of the Jpeg 2000 16ch 500gig units and also find them spot on for the price.

We can still make a good proffit on the job and be far cheaper than the people quoting DM stuff.

The only problems i have had is with sticking iris on the day night domes. But a quick phone call to Paul and the units are replaced next day no questions asked.

Good kit, Quality service Thats what we get from Dynamic.

My first post in the community and its a thanks for the comments. We'll try and keep up the good work. :)

cheers

Paul

• 1 year later...
Hello all, I would appreciate some feedback as I am currently in a dilemma about setting up a CCTV based secuity company.

I have been involved with CCTV installation companies for the last two years or so. Along with my best friend, who is in his early 20s, we now have the opportunity to set our own business up but I am feeling apprehensive about whether to commit.

A while back we worked together in finding a highly reliable and cheap supplier for our cctv cameras and dvrs. We found a direct supplier from China for our materials, and even after tax we were saving the company approximately 80-84% on prices (compared to the lowest prices the firm could obtain in this country).

My mate and myself did the leg work finding the supplier in China and over the last year or so have seen the firm earning on average

Archived