Security Installer Community

Could My False Alarms Be A Moth?

Guest AirCooledHeaven

Guest AirCooledHeaven

Hi

I have a Eurosec Quad Dual Tech detector in a small room 9ft x 10ft. Microwave is turned down to minimum. In the last week I've had two false alarms and on each occasion found a largish moth on the ceiling about 12inches from the detector.

Is it possible for a moth to set off a dual tech detector or should I be looking for another problem?

Thanks

Mark

Guest rjbsec

If the moth is fluttering near the detector then yes that could well be the cause of your false alarms - this hot sticky weather also produces statistically more false alarms than in the normal UK weather for some reason.

Guest AirCooledHeaven
If the moth is fluttering near the detector then yes that could well be the cause of your false alarms - this hot sticky weather also produces statistically more false alarms than in the normal UK weather for some reason.

Do you think changing the pulse count from 1 to 2 would help? Is there any real risk of missing a genuine intrusion by increasing the pulse count?

Sorry you animal rights lovers but the moth has to go :bruce_h4h:

I should have pointed out that it wasn't the same moth! I'm afraid both moths came to a sticky end. I don't feel very moth friendly at 3am...

Guest Alarm Guard

We don't use that make of dual tech, but with some makes/models turning the microwave down to minimum has the opposite effect to the desired result: It turns the microwave off completely and the sensor then is just a PIR.

This may not be the case with your sensor, but worth checking.

Paul

Moths are real pests. They leave their eggs in food types you like to keep and store such as rice, cereal and flour. (They can even have their eggs in it before you buy and open the packet!!)

If this is happening in a kitchen look in all the grain/flour/cereal type bags and container and throw away any infected ones.

I had a similar problem to you but I couldn

System Q Ltd.

So weird. In the last two days I have had 3 gigantic moths flying around my flat. One had really pretty colours. Oops, I think I killed a butterfly!

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Guest rjbsec
Do you think changing the pulse count from 1 to 2 would help? Is there any real risk of missing a genuine intrusion by increasing the pulse count?

Just walk test thoroughly if you do to ensure that the detector is still able to detect reasonable movement in what is basically a small area. However a persistent fluttering moth is still likely to cause a false alarm if in the immediate vicinity of the detector.

child to moth -:

hello little moth, do you beleive in God? do you want to meet Go?d

@splate@

send me text if your right - can't wait i got a cigarette to smoke

now i never got any texts from moths yet - so sorry people it's still the 'big bang' theory for me!

:P

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived