Security Installer Community

Security Issue

Guest reaper30

Guest reaper30

Hi all, got a bit of a problem doing my head in at the moment.

I have searched on here for an answer but couldn't find anything.

Being the good son I am when the folks said that the alarm keypad was playing up, I purchased a new one as its just a like for like replacement.

I have had very little experience with alarms and to be fair, so, I am interested in this problem.

Once changed, the keypad is fine, the master code allows me through all the menu settings, but, I need to do an engineers reset on the system as the keypad has been tampered with.

Now, the master code I have, gets me to the master reset menu, and on entering the code, the system does not accept it (by the way, each time you do this, the system generates a random 4 digit number for security purposes).

This is making me think that the guy who installed it all those years ago (before I became a spark) has a seperate engineers code.

I have tried to contact him, but as expected, there is no response. I am thinking, is there a battery backup for the memory in the system? If I power down both mains and battery the system still retains all info/codes etc so that makes me think this.

So I am thinking I am going to have to find this battery, power it down and re-set the system back up.

Any advice? I am sure there must be an easier way, but I cannot see it at the moment.

Or does anyone know any links for security forum/sites I might find an answer?

regards

reaper

I would think the only way you will be able to get control over it is by calling a company out to reset it for you.

You won't get the instructions here though.

unforunately you are going to have to swallow your pride and call out an expert ie an alarm engineer.

put simply you have performed an operation that is normally done by the installaltion company and that means the engineer code will need inputting.

if you post your location i,m sure somebody on here can point you in the right direction of a cost effective company as oppossed to one of the big ones

good luck

paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

Guest reaper30

Fair enough guys, thanks for the speedy responce.

As for the engineer manuals, I wouldn't expect to get the manuals here, that is why I have applied to coopermenvier for registration.

Whilst on the subject of me having little experience with alarms, can you recommend any training courses/qualifications I Might be looking at? or should I post that in another thread?

Also, I am based in the west midlands.

regards

reaper

Whilst on the subject of me having little experience with alarms, can you recommend any training courses/qualifications I Might be looking at? or should I post that in another thread?

Also, I am based in the west midlands.

regards

reaper

A City and Guilds or an NVQ in Intruder Alarm installation is probably your best bet. Your local college can tell you more. The NVQ is usually free if it's your first Level 2 course and lasts a year but be quick though, the courses usually start in September.

Trade Member

Guest reaper30
A City and Guilds or an NVQ in Intruder Alarm installation is probably your best bet. Your local college can tell you more. The NVQ is usually free if it's your first Level 2 course and lasts a year but be quick though, the courses usually start in September.

Well, just for the record at the moment I have:

completed JIB apprenticeship

C+G 2360 pt1

C+G 2360 pt 2

C+G 2381

C+G 2391

NVQ level 3

16 years experience in electrical industry

2 years experience Periodic Inspection + Test engineer

also work along side NICEIC Domestic Installer Part P Assessors.

I will check the local college (walsall) for their alarm installer courses then.

regards

reaper

but, I need to do an engineers reset on the system as the keypad has been tampered with.

Now, the master code I have, gets me to the master reset menu, and on entering the code, the system does not accept it (by the way, each time you do this, the system generates a random 4 digit number for security purposes).

you don't need a engineer code to reset

Guest reaper30
you don't need a engineer code to reset

So why doesn't the system accept the 4 digit code then? Are you saying that I have to reset in the panel then physically? :hmm:

regards

reaper

most panels have a remote reset input terminal as well ;)

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Archived