Security Installer Community

Multiple E/e Zones

Hi all,

I was just wondering if there was anything in the regs about setting up multiple zones as Entry/Exit.

I normaly just set the front door contact as E/E and hall as Entry route, but have just looked at a terrace house where the front door is in the lounge with stairs off, and through lounge.

if set at night, you could either come down from upstairs needing back lounge pir to be E/E or someone could come in through front door, then needing door contact to be E/E also

Are there any differences between the requirements for this on a bells only or monitored system?

Any ideas/views very much appreciated.

Dom

Guest rjbsec
Hi all,

I was just wondering if there was anything in the regs about setting up multiple zones as Entry/Exit.

I normaly just set the front door contact as E/E and hall as Entry route, but have just looked at a terrace house where the front door is in the lounge with stairs off, and through lounge.

if set at night, you could either come down from upstairs needing back lounge pir to be E/E or someone could come in through front door, then needing door contact to be E/E also

Are there any differences between the requirements for this on a bells only or monitored system?

Dom

Entry/exit zones should be few - most panels have the ability to change zone function, e.g. lounge is normal zone on full set but changes to entry/exit for night set.

Hi all,

Dom

Mosty modern panels allow zone atributes to be set that alter the function of the zones on part setting.

for example, the detector in your lounge could be "entry route" during full set and can automatically swap over to "exit entry" during part set.

only drawback i can think of would be the disablement of confirmation on entry and the ability of an intruder to wander around the area protected by a device programmed as exit entry before the timer expires.

There is no requirement for certain zones to have a restricted function either on bells only or monitored.

So for example, I could kick the door in, enter the lounge and remove the dvd, pc, hi fi and the like whilst the timer was running. :fear:

The solution to this problem is shunt locks but that is a little beyond the scope of most DIY'ers.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Hi,

Thanks bellman/rjbsec

Not sure I explained myself properly......

I know about altering zone attribues for full set and part set.

It was more a question of having two zones, in this case front door and back lounge set to E/E in part (Night) set to allow the entry from either front door or from upstairs. The RKPis by the front door, so I could set front door as E/E and lounge as entry inhibit but then that prevents you entering form upstairs.

The only thing I can think is to have second RKP in the bedroom

Many thanks again for your help and views

Dom

Hi,

Thanks bellman/rjbsec

Not sure I explained myself properly......

I know about altering zone attribues for full set and part set.

It was more a question of having two zones, in this case front door and back lounge set to E/E in part (Night) set to allow the entry from either front door or from upstairs. The RKPis by the front door, so I could set front door as E/E and lounge as entry inhibit but then that prevents you entering form upstairs.

The only thing I can think is to have second RKP in the bedroom

Many thanks again for your help and views

Dom

You should be able to do that, unless your panel prohibits it.

Mine is a bit like that; the "night" set allows entry through the hall (down the stairs with the landing PIR off at night) AND through the front door - grown-up children coming home late.

Yes, I know it's not ideal but it meets our needs without excessive risk. :-|

I thought of a second keypad upstairs, but decided this would be reasonably OK.

I thought of a second keypad upstairs, but decided this would be reasonably OK.

hi amateurandy,

the keypad upstairs is dual function so a good option to having the lounge on part set entry. it allows both the pab and unsetting before going down.

i usually fit these at it takes about the same time as a pab and less likely to accidentally operated by kids or curious adults.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived