Security Installer Community

Galaxy Keypad Half Working!!

cjd

Hi. I've got a glaxy 60 alarm system which currently has 2 RKP's attched to it (both the old style series 6000 keypad (microtech). I've tried to add another keypad which is a galaxy Mk7 keypad(honeywell), but the keypad won't allow me to put any numbers into the system. I add the keypad in eng. mode and all is well - it recognises that a new RKP has been added, and on the new keypad i get the time/date and my banner displayed, as soon as i try to enter my code the display shows a line of *'s that look like they count up and it does the same thing again, then I get the time/date back and it does it all over again!! can anyone help??. I havent used screened cable as i'm only testing it at the moment.

I've taken some numbers from the system's PCB in that hope that it will be of use to someone.

it says:

Galaxy 60

Rev 1.31 (there is a list of numbers and the 1 has a black marker across it, so i assume its read as 1.31)

the next line has 92, 93,94, 95 and 94 is black marked.

"C" is black marked on the next line

and on the label that's over the main IC chip it say series 6000.

hope all this is of use to someone who knows about galaxy systems. I've got the eng code etc, and have done the installation myself with no problems up to now.

Hope someone can help!!

Craig.

i did, realised after i'd tried it it was encrypted. This one is a new Mk 7 keypad. it saysCP027 Honeywell Gra\de 3 Class 2 on the sticker of the keypad. and version s/w 4.00 h/w1.00 on the outside of the box. any help to you??

i did, realised after i'd tried it it was encrypted. This one is a new Mk 7 keypad. it saysCP027 Honeywell Gra\de 3 Class 2 on the sticker of the keypad. and version s/w 4.00 h/w1.00 on the outside of the box. any help to you??

thats why your new keypad wont work, as the existing panel communication to the keypads is encrypted.

You will either need to stick with the two old keypads and panel, forgetting about the other keypad.

Or buy a new Galaxy panel and two additional keypads.

Everything is not always what it seems on Ebay- Buyer Beware.

You wouldn't have bought the Thorn Galaxy 60 that was on sale on ebay recently have you?

If it was thorn the firmware would say TS on the end of it.

Also if it was thorn NONE of the keypads he has would work at all.

It sounds like poor comunication, possibly due to how it's wired or the type of cable it's wired in or lack of EOL resistors.

Quickest way to check is to pop it into engineers and go to 61 diagnostics and then 2 keypad comms, anything under 95% is poor.

Regards

Bellman

thats why your new keypad wont work, as the existing panel communication to the keypads is encrypted.

You will either need to stick with the two old keypads and panel, forgetting about the other keypad.

Or buy a new Galaxy panel and two additional keypads.

Everything is not always what it seems on Ebay- Buyer Beware.

Agreed, If it is the encrypted version then your stuffed, look at the keypads bios chip, does it have TS on it?

If your keypads say modern on them they aren't encrypted at all as only the thorn ones were

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

right hold on. The two CURRENT keypads installed ont he system are modern security systems and are NOT thorn type keypads, on diagnostic test these are both 100%. The NEW keypad i want to install is a galaxy Mk7 keypad by honeywell. it has no mention of thorn anywhere at all. It say Gxy Mk7 keypad Uk, Version s/w:4.00 h/w1.00, part no. CP027-01-B on the identity label on the box, and CP027 Honeywell, Grade 3 class 2 on a sticker on the base of the keypad. I did but a thorn keypad at one point but this did not work at all - it was encrypted. This keypad, is recognised on the system up to the point it display the time date banner etc, but will not allow me to enter any codes on it - doing so displays a series of counting *'s. Diagnostics test comes up as fluctuating between 34 & 42 %.

craig.

Right, in that case they CAN'T be encrypted.

there was an issue when mixing both old and new style keypads on older versions of the firmware.

What happens when you just connect the new one on it's own without the 2 older ones, does it work then ?

also make sure they are wired in daisy chain configuration, panel - keypad1 - keypad 2 - keypad 3

It also should have a resistor across the AB terminals of the last device in line. normal 8 core won't work properly, it needs to be in screened belden cable

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

the keypads are daisy chained like you said, but it doesn't have a resistor at the end.

tried the keypad on its own it does the same thing a described. any other suggestions please!!

post-7594-1149184350.jpg

post-7594-1149184380.jpg

Archived