Security Installer Community

Sub Contracting

cheers for your replies lads i did mean uniform for my own jobs, as i new companies would want me to say and look as if i work for them.

cheers

lee

Lee Sutton

E-Mail: leesutton@centurianfire.co.uk

Phone: 0845 094 9870

CENTURIAN FIRE & SECURITY (part of centurian group limited)

Hi Lee

We sub and have our own work and at times we often need to find a telephone box to do a quick change into another uniform, but to avoid this we have 1 of our own shirts in the van at all times and a plain unbranded one just in case, but in our colours as to give us a more unified look.

As for contracting i normally know in advance when we are contracting so i can tell my engineers the day before, they can then start the day in there subbies shirt.

but we all have the same safty shoes and work trousers it makes a big difference to the customers perception of you as an engineer if you look presentable.

I would recomend work trousers from Mascott

Warren Salmons

6th Sense Security Ltd

Norwich

hi all,

something a bit different from the original question but relevant in context.

if an NSI company needs a suby, can they use SSAIB registered companies? and visa versa (as i think they can not use un-registered sub-contractors).

i ask as i have been approached just today to see if i will get registered as an NSI Silver Installer, by an NSI Gold company (who will pay all expenses involved so now very intersting). this is so i can work for them in a consultant/engineer capacity on intruder, Access, CCTv as well as Telephone systems, and on bigger jobs as a project overseer.

i think they also want to use me as a part time 'ball buster' to go in and shake up some of the more conceited 'older hands' on the firm, and bring them down to earth with a bit of a nasty bump. my contact has seen me go for my own staff in full flow when i was in a very bad mood over poor standards.

the firm requires an outsider who can find the hidden 'sins' and can be nasty enough to point them out very forcefully, not to caring a fig for popularity when i 'bite' them. as i will not actually be part of this firm, means less chances of fued's developing between managers and 'valued' staff (is what i'm told).

it's a peculiar but intriguing approach, i love a good argument and many know i'm pondering which inspectorate to join, and this 'suby' question may also be relevant to others in my shoe's if they are concidering sub-contracting.

your views would be intersting and much appreciated.

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

cheers You guys we have got t shirts with our name on and plain just in case not long to go now 16th june is the day we leave the company and 19th officially self employed any information on the good and bad points welcome....... :yes:

Lee Sutton

cheers You guys we have got t shirts with our name on and plain just in case not long to go now 16th june is the day we leave the company and 19th officially self employed any information on the good and bad points welcome....... :yes:

Get in touch with the Taxman and start paying your tax monthly.

invoice promptly and get paid promptly, do NOT offer early settlement discounts until you know the client well and be selective withit, or it will only lead to 90 days payments and then they still take the discount.

always do all the paperwork as it comes in, bad paperwork causes more firms to close than bad workmanship!

good luck!

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

1. I would get an accountant ASAP.

2. Get all your invoice books, docket books printed and ready for day 1 ( the printers will twice as long to print as they say its going to take )

3. I go the extra mile with every customer to make sure thay are 100% happy

GOOD LUCK

All your info is very much appreciated as you guys have already been there and done it and found the best ways around it, Everything is done now apart from the tax man and insurance to sort out and liability insurance to get as well

cheers

lee

Lee Sutton

Check with the firms you want to sub for how much liability they require you to have. I have heard some co's require you to have 3 million cover.

Have you had any feedback from local firms yet?

There is also a link (Daves post)in the vacancy forum to a handy site which will list any jobs and sub contract work in your area :)

Archived