Security Installer Community

Decent Antivirus Software

Monteey

Im convinced theres something on my pc causing it to slow down booting up xp, but so far my antivirus hasnt picked it up, im running zonelabs security suite, anyone have some suggestions for other programs preferably free, that will give my computer a second opinion

cheers

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Im convinced theres something on my pc causing it to slow down booting up xp, but so far my antivirus hasnt picked it up, im running zonelabs security suite, anyone have some suggestions for other programs preferably free, that will give my computer a second opinion

cheers

Im far from an expert but ive used AVG for a few years, its free and spot on in my experience.

AVG HERE

And if ive had any doubts i run Housecall online as a back up check from time to time.

Housecall here

cheers

There is a free online one here: HouseCall

EDIT: Ok so I can't type as fast as everyone else..:lol:

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

Avast is also good, but does use some resources.

I use Avast 4 Home on a number of varying specificated PC's that I've set up for friends and family and have found it much less resource hungry than all of the other anti virus programs I have used, which include Norton, Panda, AVG and McAfee.

if your machine is valuable to you then us SOPHOS, not dirt cheap but deadly and really fast reaction to new virus's and superb support.

regs

arfur_mo

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Guest Peter James
Avast is also good, but does use some resources.

QFA

I use Avast 4 Home on a number of varying specificated PC's that I've set up for friends and family and have found it much less resource hungry than all of the other anti virus programs I have used, which include Norton, Panda, AVG and McAfee.

QFA

Guest stress3

:) Hi there Troops !

Just spotting the replys on this subject of anti virus programs, and i Must agree

with lurch on avast 4home top notch bit of kit, i run 2 anti virus software packages

the other one is Avg, the later is O.k i also keep the speed there by running

three different adware/spyware programs, this can speed up processor time considerably

and what else i have found is that 1 will find something the others sometimes wont, you have to pay the money for these bits of kit but they are worth it.

1. Bulletproof

2. Adware 7

3. Spybot

You may find this site interesting @ http://www.download.com/

Freeware/ shareware / Demos Etc

Take It easy !

Its A Jungle Out There !

Stress3 :)

you have to pay the money for these bits of kit but they are worth it.

No you don't. I use Avast, AdAware SE, Spywareblaster and Kerio personal firewall. All free for home use and all superb and not one has caused me any trouble on any machine I've ever installed them on.

Archived