Security Installer Community

Winmobile 5 Tweaks.

Service Engineer

Proceed with Caution, Messing with the REGISTRY can seriously mess up your mobile device, so if your unsure about anything do not proceed.

All below have been completed on my iPAQ HX4700, the speed increases gained have totally justified the effort.

DISCLAIMER: I have not discovered or found any of these solutions myself, I merely grabbed them together from several pocket-PC-related forums. I thought it would be useful to have a complete roundup. In WM5 registry changes do not get committed to storage till after a while. This is keep devices from getting even more sluggish. If you soft reset using the reset button it does not commit recent changes at all. If you reset using the various reset utilities however it will commit your changes to storage. In short, if you reset using the reset button you will keep seeing your changes being undone.

WM5:

Increase Performance and Speed Boost Windows Mobile 5 performance up to 20 percent:

You will need a registry editor: PHM Registry Editor (Free):

HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS\CacheSize=0x2000( 8192)

HKLM\System\StorageManager\FATFS\EnableCache=0x1(1 )

HKLM\System\StorageManager\Filters\fsreplxfilt\ReplStoreCacheSize=0x2000(8192)

HKLM\System\StorageManager\Profiles\MSFlash\FATFS\ DataCacheSize=0x2000(8192)

HKLM\System\StorageManager\Profiles\MSFlash\FATFS\ Flags=0x28(40)

HKLM\System\GDI\GLYPHCACHE\limit=0x8000(32768)

Soft reset for changes to take effect.

Default values for all keys are 0

Disable Windows menu animation

Switching off eye candies like animation keeps your handheld zippy.

To do so, you'll need a registry editor like PHM RegEdit to modify the registry.

Navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SYSTEM\GWE\Menu,

then change the value of "AniType"

from 6 (default) to 0. This disables the menu animation.

Increase display cache

Another tip to speed up the display is to increase the glyph cache value. However, this will take up more system memory. Launch your registry editor and browse to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\GDI\GLYPHCACHE.

Change the value of "limit" from 8192

(default) to 16384 or even 32768.

Close not minimize

If you are unaware, when you tap on the close button, the program only minimizes. Hence, you may end up with a string of programs running on the background taking up valuable memory.

Error Reporting

Is real drain on the battery and on performance. It is simple to disable, just go to

Start>Settings>System(tab) and tap the

Error Reporting icon.

Change the setting to "Disable error reporting".

Reduce Compaction:

The most important thing is to install all software to your SD-card. This will prevent the compaction-process (filesys.exe) from continually sapping your system-resources. Keep your HP-rom as empty as possible.

Also put all your notes, documents, etc on your SD-card and if any program you use create's cache-files: try to get them on your SD-card also.

Activesync:

Now, you need to stop Activesync from periodically starting on it's own. To do so open Activesync on your WM5 device and tap on Menu>Add Server Source. Add any info to create a fake server sync. After that is complete go to Menu>Schedule and change the two dropdowns to "Manual" and tap "ok" at the top right. You can now go to Menu>Options and delete the Exchange Server setting you just added. Now Activesync will not start when you cradle your device.UPDATE: the above Activesync fix will also fix the problem MANY are having with not being able to turn on their WM5 unit.

The other activesync hack:

hklm\system\activesync\engines\{176f4..blablabla\settings\syncaftertime..blablabla should be set to 0.

Grid View:

Many people seem to dislike the new grid view on the WM5 start menu.

This can be disabled by changing a registry key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Shell\StartMenu\GridView = 0

Note that the start menu will still be different to that on older OS's. The menu now has 9 programs per page, and a softkey switches to the next page.

Lastly:

As far as I know you have to edit the follwing registry settings if you want to modify special sections of the registry:

HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies\00001001 = 1 (RAPI) and

HKLM\Security\Policies\Policies\00001005 = 40 (Cert)

If you change the settings to the above values it is possible to edit the start menu structure.

Please feel free to add any other Tweaks, hints or tips relevant to WM5.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Report as a full IE6 to website's.

This will let your pocket internet explorer look like a normal desktop Internet Explorer 6.0

This can help you access sites that require a certain internet explorer version.

1) Open a registry editor

2) Go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\User Agent\

3) Change the default value to "Mozilla/4.0".

4) Change the "Version" value to "MSIE 6.0".

5) Change the "Platform" value to "Windows NT 5.0".

6) Soft-reset.

Today & Program Start:

In this registry key you can find all the items that appear in the 'New' menu on the Today screen:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Extensions\NewMenu

These are the programs that automatically start when performing a soft reset:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\Start Items

To enable Editor options:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\HTC\Album\ DisableEditor] "Disable" ->

Set 0 to Enable and 1 to Disable

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

• 6 months later...

hi all,

this threads been a bit quiet, so anyone got a fix on a WM% PDA Mobile for this -:

go into contacts and find the one you want, so you might phone them on a land line, blah, blah and more blah and then they ask have you got their email?

look at PDA and its timed out, but thats ok. so i click it on again and have to go back to contacts and search all over again. so is their any way to stop the contacts from closing down?

i don't think this was a problem on my earlier SPV's (WM2003).

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

adjust your power settings and extend 'turn off device if not used for x minutes

what pda is it?

hi james

its a MIO A701 Digi Walker (with sat nav antenna built in), great phone just an annoying habit that it resets the pointer, short fix as you say but prefer it woukd re-open where it was left

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived