Security Installer Community

Keypad Voltage - Galaxy 16

Guest Richard

Guest rjbsec
Hi all

Thanks for the '12v' reply.

It's a very old stone-built cottage with 3' thick walls and nicely renovated and finished.

The main reason for not installing a 'proper' system is tacking cables everywhere and/or digging channels in the walls.

The wireless alarms are an option but wireless and my walls don't mix well - my chordless phone works through 1 wall and my Wi-Fi network just in the room where it's located. How do the wireless alarms sit with you experts .?

Despite what some on here say, there are some good ones on the market but if you experience difficulties using other wireless equipment a site survey would be recommended.

Often people worry about how much cable will be visible, whereas a good installer will do his utmost to ensure the concealing of cables, in fact a good installer will treat your home as though he was doing it for himself.

I'd love to say that I'm not going to get burgled so these are simply deterants for the youth/optimist driving by and choosing the next house up the road over mine based on some 'signs' of an alarm.

I'm getting the feeling you all don't think the fake boxes bring any thing to the party whatsoever - I did buy an old, used one - not the generic eBay one that I suspect every burglar worth his pry-bar would recognise.

Thanks again for the help above, regards

Dummy bell boxes do everyone a disfavour - if a burglar breaks in and discovers that there is in reality no system then it emboldens him/her to try elsewhere, we absolutely never, ever supply them. Get 2 or 3 local installers to come and give you a free survey and tell you how they could unobtrusively fit a system in your home ......... and hey we all make a comment at someone elses expense from time to time :D

Guest Guest
Despite what some on here say, there are some good ones on the market but if you experience difficulties using other wireless equipment a site survey would be recommended.

Often people worry about how much cable will be visible, whereas a good installer will do his utmost to ensure the concealing of cables, in fact a good installer will treat your home as though he was doing it for himself.

Dummy bell boxes do everyone a disfavour - if a burglar breaks in and discovers that there is in reality no system then it emboldens him/her to try elsewhere, we absolutely never, ever supply them. Get 2 or 3 local installers to come and give you a free survey and tell you how they could unobtrusively fit a system in your home ......... and hey we all make a comment at someone elses expense from time to time :D

Thanks for your time and words - it's why I came to your forum, not for the 'Churchill dog' comments and pi55-taking - I love the internet as it's a goldmine of experts and people's opinion. What better way to get to help a novice in this field make a decision.

The house is old - floor joists and floorboards - no ceiling<-->boards cavity for cables, all solid walls and slate floors - cables of any description are always a problem, you can imagine. It's also got these thick walls and is a long-thin building so distance from the front to back door, for example, is impossible for the wireless devices I mentioned earlier.

I will get a site survey done - probably leave the bell-box up there for now - may ditch the keypad idea, well powering it anyway..

Thanks again - any further (constructive) comments greatly appreciated

Kind regards

Thanks again - any further (constructive) comments greatly appreciated

As you seem to be serious about protecting your property why not join here as a proper member?

Then browse around a bit, see what's going on and you'll get some very useful information.

It will definitely help you understand what your options are before getting quotes, and you'll have a more "understanding" relationship with whoever you choose, including what they propose and why and what the costs relate to. :)

Guest RICHL
The house is old - floor joists and floorboards - no ceiling<-->boards cavity for cables, all solid walls and slate floors - cables of any description are always a problem, you can imagine. It's also got these thick walls and is a long-thin building so distance from the front to back door, for example, is impossible for the wireless devices I mentioned earlier.

Is it single storey then? A wireless site survey will determine wether or not it should be used.

pi55-taking - I love the internet as it's a goldmine of experts and people's opinion. What better way to get to help a novice in this field make a decision.

A guest who knows how to get around the bad word filter, :hmm:

www.nova-security.co.uk

www.nsiapproved.co.uk

No PMs please unless i know you or you are using this board with your proper name.

Hi

Recently I've also aquired a burglar alarm keypad which I want to mount within sight of the front windows of the house to complete the appearance of a fitted and working burglar alarm. I'd like to power it up so the backlight (at least) is lit.

Q - What sort of voltage will the keypad require - and if left powered on how long would you expect a bettery to last.

The keypad will require a Galaxy 16 control unit or similar as the led denoting power wil flash continuosly, and the lcd screen will be bolank NO COMMS. If the reason behind the lack of a system is monatry get a panel off one of the lads on here and progresively build your own system. All the expertise and help you could ever need is available on here.

Pete H.

Big Jig.

Trade Member

Quality Manager

Direct Security Systems (Midlands) Limited

NSI Gold.

Good engineers always ask questions!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nigelbt

hi guys slightly different question about keypad, hope its ok to start here, i recently had a power cut in my street and since then i cannot set my alarm, i get a message on the keypad stating power failure setting aborted, i have a galaxy 16 plus which i installed a few years ago myself, i have checked and power seems to be getting to all points and fuses are all ok etc but cannot set , can any of you help me out, many thanks, Nigel. :(

Is the keypad light flashing rapidly?

if so it's still without power battery power or fuse F2 is blown.

When was the battery last changed or load tested?

Check that the battery is ok and is being charged.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Guest nigelbt
Is the keypad light flashing rapidly?

if so it's still without power battery power or fuse F2 is blown.

When was the battery last changed or load tested?

Check that the battery is ok and is being charged.

Regards

Bellman

thanks bellman, battery is 6 yrs old but seems all ok, light is flashing rapidly but all fuses are ok, would it be worth me trying another battery?sorry to take so long replying but away for few days

thanks bellman, battery is 6 yrs old but seems all ok, light is flashing rapidly but all fuses are ok, would it be worth me trying another battery?sorry to take so long replying but away for few days

Battery is broken in that case mate, replace it with a new one and all should be fine.

BTW, keypad light will stay flashing until eng mode is exited.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Archived