Security Installer Community

Broadband Dropping Out

Guest ALSEC

Hi,

Broadband will stay on fine for 30min - 1 hour and then spend the next 3 hours dropping in and out. Driving me mad!! voltage at BT Master is 51.89v - never seen it this high (I know it's not much but usually I see around 48/49v) so not sure if this is a problem or not???

Also, sometimes the router will also ditch the wireless LAN at the same time - maybe fault with router (it's a Netgear DG834 I think).

Tried with dial up and got around 31k, dropped off again and then reconnected at 21k.

Any ideas??

Ronnie

Im having the same problem, upgraded my modem last week to a voyager 105 & Im having a right pain with my provider. It drops out all the time & can take 4-6 attempts to sign on :angry:

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

I had the same thing a few weeks ago. Drove me insane. In the end, I re-configured the router twice and then it has been fine since. However, I am convinced it was a problem with the ISP!

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Possible causes

1) Extension wiring. (Extension wiring is naturally unbalanced due to A and B leg plus ringer circuit. To stop the unbalancing affect use LJU master types. Theses have built in capacitors that will convert the AC ring signal to ring the phone. This then makes the bell wire redundant so no need to connect it, thus balancing the cable again. Also star wiring can play a big part in ADSL problems due to the nature of the signal. To get around this provide each extension on to a daisy chain type circuit so Master will be 1 then Secondary will be 2 and so on.)

2) ISP speed upgrade. ( Most ISPs are upgrading from 512 to 1 meg automatically but some customers can not support any more than 512. This increase in band width on a line that is either poor or a long distance from the exchange will have intermittent drop outs. Contact your ISP if your not sure how to check your Up and DOWN speed.)

3) Customer equipment. ( This could be any thing that is plugged in to the phone line or router/modem. Do the normal take every thing out of the phone line and check connection to BB it may be a case of elimination. Also a lot of equipment use switch mode power supplies when these go or have very poor RF filtering they can cause wide spread problems of induced AC noise on the PSTN network. A resent case in my neighbourhood was that we were all having problems with are BB. After running the checks all seemed ok. I was in the area that week checking another line in the network when I connected my Digi But "Test Phone" to a pr on the same cable as my BB was on that I noticed the induced AC. With this evidence I manage to get a special RF engineer from the company to track down here the interference was coming from. 3 weeks later the noise was located to a Digital set top box transformer that had gone faulty. Once unplugged 30 connections all came back on line. To check if the noise is present in you street get your self a cheap hand held radio and switch to SW,MW you will hear the noise as it will bleed all over the other channels.

A good PSTN line should read 50vdc to 55vdc with a reading of 45ma on dial tone. There are many other problems that can cause ADSL drop out but the ones listed are common. If you still have no joy then contact your ISP. But be warned if proved to be your equipment i.e., any thing from the NTE then charges will apply. BT will charge

Thanks for the quick replies, I managed to stay online long enough to download the upgrade which is now applied and working. I'm obviously having a good spot at the moment as I've been online now for at least 10 mins!!!

Will have to wait and see, SMART regardless of my problem your reply was very interesting and useful anyway!

Thanks, Ronnie

Possible causes

1) Extension wiring. (Extension wiring is naturally unbalanced due to A and B leg plus ringer circuit. To stop the unbalancing affect use LJU master types. Theses have built in capacitors that will convert the AC ring signal to ring the phone. This then makes the bell wire redundant so no need to connect it, thus balancing the cable again.

Are LJU master types standard master sockets or something special?

Trade Member

Are LJU master types standard master sockets or something special?

Depends, some are, some aren't. Depends who made it, when, and to what spec. The LJU's I use are PBX masters and are the same as BT NTE5's electrically apart from the LJU's don't have the surge protection doobrie on the board.

OK, I'm on now briefly as it will probably drop out again any second!!!

Firmware is upto date, but still happening, am assuming that the BT line is OK as the house was recently refurbed and all looks new and shiny including BT drop wire and all wiring.

Am assuming that the router may be brown bread and am buying a new one today (if I happen to pass by somewhere that sells them).

Thanks, Ronnie

Archived