Security Installer Community

Watchdog reset?

xt600

1 hour ago, sixwheeledbeast said:

Maybe I was considering if the dialler had a built in battery and if it was positive or negative trigger?

It helps to know what is installed before assuming things.

This is the original question that I answered, is it not?

Yeah dude , we different angle, and I speak with forked tongue

41 minutes ago, xt600 said:

I suppose my questions are: 

1: Is a total power loss caused by a powercut and subsequent discharged battery the only reason for the watchdog to occur? 

2: Will a powercut resulting in low battery voltage always trigger a full alarm? (seems strange to waste remaining battery power by turning on all bells when there isn't actually a break-in, or sensor activated?) 

Triggering you mean intruder trigger or bell trigger 

Bell output and intruder outputs can be different on some panels

Besides the watchdog what else is in the log, if you look further back it will tell you what time day the mains failed, therefore you can work out if its a complete power failure causing the problem or if its getting spiked when the power comes back on.  

48 minutes ago, xt600 said:

Is a total power loss caused by a powercut and subsequent discharged battery the only reason for the watchdog to occur?

I don't know the controls but I don't expect the system should be throwing watchdog messages due to a complete power loss and battery drained.

A watchdog is a general term in electronics for the systems processes are no longer responsive and therefore the system has triggered a reboot, this leaves watchdog message in any logfiles/event logs.

There could be any number of causes but most I have seen come back to unstable mains, electrical spikes or very rarely faulty controls.

PJ is correct you need to look in the log for events around the watchdog also worth checking the voltages with a meter.

48 minutes ago, xt600 said:

Will a powercut resulting in low battery voltage always trigger a full alarm? (seems strange to waste remaining battery power by turning on all bells when there isn't actually a break-in, or sensor activated?)

Yes, it is considered to the panel that the system has been tampered or is about to be. If armed it will be a full alarm, if disarmed it would be internals only.

1 hour ago, al-yeti said:

Triggering you mean intruder trigger or bell trigger 

Bell output and intruder outputs can be different on some panels

My panel has a sab output, to which the external bell box is connected. It also has a bell output, to which I have connected 3 internal sounders, and the dialler. I assume in the event of an alarm both these outputs are triggered. 

1 hour ago, PeterJames said:

Besides the watchdog what else is in the log, if you look further back it will tell you what time day the mains failed, therefore you can work out if its a complete power failure causing the problem or if its getting spiked when the power comes back on.  

I'm pretty sure that when this happens, the log is wiped and no other events are recorded. I certainly couldn't find any last time it happened but will try again next time I visit the property. 

I do recall the log reporting 'battery volts low' on occasions before this started happening. I fitted a new battery, but am now wondering whether the battery I fitted was as good as it should be (could've been collecting dust in the shop for too long!) 

11 minutes ago, xt600 said:

My panel has a sab output, to which the external bell box is connected. It also has a bell output, to which I have connected 3 internal sounders, and the dialler. I assume in the event of an alarm both these outputs are triggered. 

I wonder if the devices are pulling the output down depending on sounder current 

7 minutes ago, al-yeti said:

I wonder if the devices are pulling the output down depending on sounder current 

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. 

I do know that there is 1Amp available on the bell output (1A fuse protected) and I have 3 loud sounders embedded into the ceilings, not sure what they are pulling but they've never blown the fuse :-) 

33 minutes ago, xt600 said:

I'm pretty sure that when this happens, the log is wiped and no other events are recorded. I certainly couldn't find any last time it happened but will try again next time I visit the property. 

All events leading up to watchdog should be there, I am fairly certain of this I removed an NVM (Non Volatile Memory) from a panel that had been in a burned down building in order to read the log from it, it told me everything that had happened prior to watchdog.  And that panel had been subject to extreme temperature and water ingress. It was from a slightly bigger panel than a CPX but I am sure that the CPX boasts a 200 event log NVM. 

9 minutes ago, PeterJames said:

All events leading up to watchdog should be there, I am fairly certain of this I removed an NVM (Non Volatile Memory) from a panel that had been in a burned down building in order to read the log from it, it told me everything that had happened prior to watchdog.  And that panel had been subject to extreme temperature and water ingress. It was from a slightly bigger panel than a CPX but I am sure that the CPX boasts a 200 event log NVM. 

Thanks PJ, I'll take another look at this when I visit in a few weeks. I'm hoping you're right as it may well help diagnose the problems I'm having.