Security Installer Community

Scantronic error

Hope someone can help.

My elderly mother had a scantronic alarm and it kept going off randomly.  I changed the control panal for a like for like (9651PD) and wired everything up as before taking care with the wiring.  Once I now exit out the installer menu i get the error ' COM A/T'

Can anyone offer any advice on what this is or how to clear it?

thanks

2 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Hope someone can help.

My elderly mother had a scantronic alarm and it kept going off randomly.  I changed the control panal for a like for like (9651PD) and wired everything up as before taking care with the wiring.  Once I now exit out the installer menu i get the error ' COM A/T'

thanks

You need to look at Option 21.

I assume you have a global tamper - or have you rewired for EOL?

If you've re-wired for EOL at each detector (highly recommended), you need to set option 21 to 'FSL', NOT 'COM CC'

If you have kept one, single large tamper loop (this was your opportunity to do away with it!) then you have a fault within that loop.

You will need to separate each pair of wires and check with a meter individually.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

3 hours ago, David Andrews said:

Hope someone can help.

thanks

What was original fault?

Meaning what was it reporting when going off?

May just have been the battery

Right...

I think we all expected to see a pic of an ancient 9100 or something.

When you say, 'going off randomly', so you mean, without anything being displayed on the screen, or are we talking false alarms here?

If so, changing the panel won't help, and in a slightly more definitive answer to your original question, for reasons unknown the original installation

uses a common tamper, i.e. one massive tamper loop for all the detectors.

Right now, you have a tamper on any one of the devices or wiring fault causing the global (CC) tamper.

It really should have used EOL type wiring, so any faults on each zone are shown as being only on that zone. It requires 2 resistors at each detector

(modern devices have them built in a lot of the time) and saves a lot of headaches, as well as only needing 2 wires for each zone.

So, can you let us know exactly what the previous problem was?

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

pic above is of one of the PIR's

When you walked into the hall from coming in it would go off instead of having a delay.  Also when she was out it would go off and say the PIR in lounge had been triggered.  Also on other occasions it wouldnt let her turn it off when she came in.  The keypad was changed a while ago by local alarm company but problems still keep happening that's why I changed the control panel.

thanks

20170224_122619.jpg

18 minutes ago, David Andrews said:

pic above is of one of the PIR's

When you walked into the hall from coming in it would go off instead of having a delay.  Also when she was out it would go off and say the PIR in lounge had been triggered.  Also on other occasions it wouldnt let her turn it off when she came in.  The keypad was changed a while ago by local alarm company but problems still keep happening that's why I changed the control panel.

thanks

When you say 'walked into the hall', is there a magnetic sensor on the front door AND a PIR in the hallway?

If so perhaps the magnetic sensor is stuck 'shut' so unable to put the hall sensor into access mode...?

The PIR you've pictured looks ancient, I would change them all, and also consider location.

Was the old keypad an oblong one with fairly large keys? They are notorious for the keypads key presses going hard to register, and people needing to put massive

pressure on the keys. Did they replace it with the same, or a square one as came with your new PD kit?

Either way, you now have a tamper wiring fault - somwhere. I would take this opportunity to change the PIRs and convert wiring to EOL.

Edited by datadiffusion