Security Installer Community

Backup Battery

Guest smylie

Guest smylie

Found them in the Yellow pages, the guy also lived quite near so seemed like the logical person to go with. He also disabled a system round the corner from me.

Guest smylie
The engineer you called has not done what you asked him to, simply disconnecting the panels mains supply will not render the system dead. The panel battery should have been removed along with the batteries in the internal and external sirens.

Removing the battery now, will trigger the sirens again, but they should shut up before 20 minutes has elapsed. The engineer should have at least done this for you, and stayed to ensure the sirens had shut up before he left.

Yes he did say that when the battery eventually died the external alarm would sound for 20 minutes or so and then die also, when I told him that when I disconnected the internal battery in the main panel the internal alarm sounded about 10 seconds after the external alarm had started he was very surprised. When he was hear he did open the internal alarm box and we didn't see a battery. He was very nice and said he would come back if I had more problems (as he hasn't charged me I thought that was very good of him).

So are you saying that when the batteries finally fail the internal alarm should only go for about 20 minutes before dying and then the system will be dead?

I am based in East Lothian, Scotland if anyone can help.

Difficult to say what will happen as we don't know exactly what's been fitted.

You really need an engineer visit to decomission it correctly. Even though he didn't charge you he should have completely taken it out of service as I wouldn't leave a system knowing it will annoy the neighbours for 20 minutes (assuming the bell isn't u\s and it sounds continuously for hours on end until the battery finally gives out).

At the end of the day, we all try to do our best to prevent false alarms so leaving a system in a state that is guaranteed to false alarm is unprofessional at best.

Hi,

Anyway he removed the fuse fromt he mains so I no longer have the mains light on my control panel, the Day and TPR lights are still on, TPR is flashing. He said that the battery had taken over and that it would run out in a few hours - when it did the external alarm would sound for about 20 minutes and then it would die - end of system.

It sounds like the engineer does not know what he's doing! I am not an alarm engineer but I would not leave an alarm system in that state! If he's done that to your old system I would not trust him to install you

I asked for the system to be disabled in case it went off when there was no one in the house. Anyway he removed the fuse fromt he mains - the battery had taken over and that it would run out in a few hours - when it did the external alarm would sound for about 20 minutes and then it would die - end of system.

we are now at 27 hours. Concerned that when the battery finally runs out the alarm will go off - is this a possibility and if so so do I prevent it. Why is the backup battery lasting so long.

what people have the nerve to get away with and even say

alarm would sound for about 20 minutes and then it would die,

well it may do, but if the siren has no cut-off timer it can ring for several hours, only those installed within the last 7 years are more likely to have a built-in cut off timer - and that assumes it was a new siren when fitted,

your siren may stop eventually, but even with a timer it can restart -: the control battery runs down, bell starts, bell timer cuts in bell stops, bell no longer pulling power so control battery volts rise a little and resets timer, bell starts again as battery drops and so on for possibly a couple of hours.

its a bit like you torche, batts go flat when you left on, turn off torche wait a while switch back on you will get some light out of it, but it drops and so on.

you need to get someone out or you are likely to have a sleepless night, and so are your neighbours.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived