Security Installer Community

7 Core Cable & Cctv Ptz Head Connection

Guest stevey

Guest stevey

I have a PTZ head that needs to be connected to 230 VAC to power it. Yes I know I should have got low voltage 24 VAC but there were none in stock.

I have the following connections to make:

1. NEUTRAL

2. UP (LIVE)

3. DOWN (LIVE)

4. LEFT (LIVE)

5. RIGHT (LIVE)

6. AUX

7. EARTH

The connections are in a hexagon configuration, 1-6 with a central pin 7 for earth. The connections are less than 1cm apart from each other. (They are female types i.e. a barrel with a 1cm depth hole and about 0.2mm diameter)

How do I go about connecting the wires apart from soldering them to the connector as I find that real tricky, someone tell me an easy way with braided copper cable instead of a solid copper core cable? I was thinking about getting some pins that they use on pcbs, crimping them on to the cable and pushing them into the sockets, then if they are a snug fit leaving it as that before insulating with PVC tape as required.

Should my idea as suggested above be fine, bearing in mind 36W unit, 230VAC so about 0.1A in each wire...

Any suggestions!

Thanks

Steve

Guest stevey
The plug is designed to be soldered, any other connection method could be dangerous!!

Also the cable used must be rated for 240v use

I could tin the wires to make them solid.

Where do I go to get it soldered as im useless?

How much to pay?

Hi Stevey,

Is this for your personal use, i.e your house, or are you an installer and this camera is for a customer.

If your an engineer that can't solder then your in the wrong job, if this is a DIY job then do yourself a favour and find someone competent to do the work for you. As stated, you need 240v rated cable for 240v, if you try and push the 240v cable ends together then the chances are it will arc, especially if the cables are moving, this is what causes fires.

No offence, but it is clear that you do not really know what you are doing, and any information you get from this thread and use to complete the task at hand is likely to leave you badly maimed or dead. Please find someone near you that can help you out.

The plug is designed to be soldered, any other connection method could be dangerous!!

Fair enough. Can't say as I've come across a PTZ head with solder buckets before.

sounds like you got a control box missing, like a switch box or something. What are you controlling PTZ with.

Trade Member

As Mr Kingswood said "Dont forget the 6 P's when installing.....Proper Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance!!!"

John Kingswood(alais Nobby), Paul Earl Ltd 1985-2006

Guest stevey
sounds like you got a control box missing, like a switch box or something. What are you controlling PTZ with.

Its a dennard 2000, see manual here:

http://www.norbain.co.uk/support//manuals/...M40CEB0953CBAC/

Its for my own installation. I know HOW to solder but just cant do it because I've got the wrong tip and an iron that too low powered (18 Watts)

For the money of a new tip I'll get someone else to do it.

From the PTZ head it goes to a box that does have screw in connections.

Archived