Security Installer Community

Help

Guest AnDy WaLtOn

AnDy

Initial Fire and Security Apprentice.

It might be an idea to change your signature, do you have your firms permission to use their name on these forums :no:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=polarized

There are several meanings relating to polerized when talking about electrical things.

What context do you mean it in?

Also I agree with Colin, drop the rat catcher tag :)

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

• 4 weeks later...

Polarised

eg, In a Diode current will only flow one way so is therefore polarised, there are some components that are polarised. So a polarised capacitor must go + to + and - to -.

The older I get, the faster I was.

• 1 month later...
:hmm: i am doing this work for college and i am not sure what polarized means, can anyone help please?

cheers

polorized would normally apply to dc voltage's as applied to components, ie a carbone resisitor is not 'polorised' as it is not bothered which way the current flows through it. try reversing the supply to an older style LED or electrolytic capacitor and you get a nasty smell of fused plastic and if lucky a loudish bang to go with it.

wear eye protection and keep mouth tightly closed well before trying it.

i do not recommend or condone this experiment to anyone, and i have never performed it with the great big dc capacitors as found in old tv sets, dangled through a letterbox on a pair of wires using a borrowed motor bike battery, well not since i was 14 and got caught :P

regs

alan

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived