Security Installer Community

Redcare/adsl Compatability

Got a customer who has had standard recare for years and has just had ADSL enabled on the same line.

This is causing periodic line faults that last a few seconds, but more annoying are the chirps that are nearly constant when he is on the phone.

I'm told by BT redcare help that he either needs to change the Eurostu for a 3Gstu, or alternatively, get a filter (part number HM-ADSL-004924) from BT redcare sales, which will solve his problems. Has anyone got any experience of this - especially using that specific filter?

TIA

Andy.

Manufacturer

BT redcare are correct, all 3Gstu,s are already compatible, we use the filters supplied by redcare, they're easy to use and fit inside the panel easy. Connections are made by IDC crimps built into the filter, just push the cables in and squeeze.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

BT redcare are correct, all 3Gstu,s are already compatible, we use the filters supplied by redcare, they're easy to use and fit inside the panel easy. Connections are made by IDC crimps built into the filter, just push the cables in and squeeze.

I just happened to be looking at a (reasonably large) Broadband providers web site this afternoon (I'm thinking of changing to a better deal) and there it specifically says that if you've got Redcare (and/or some other services) on a line then you CANNOT enable broadband.

Good to know that these suppliers know their own technology so well, isn't it. :ranting:

Well, that's one less on the list of potential suppliers, I think. :P

What they probably mean is 'we've had loads of customers complaining about redcare not working when ADSL is enabled so we've decided that rather than look into it and see if the customer\their engineer actually knows what they're doing and if it really isn't compatible we've decided that it isn't compatible'.

Hi Andy

Not sure about older STU's but all new STU's are compatible with ADSL (making sure that any data devices such as PDQ or fax have an MCD fitted). I would imagine that putting and ADSL filter inline with the STU and RedCare line would solve the problem.

Who cares what has been printed or read on one website or another or even what one salesman has said over another - there will be loads of engineers who deal with these problems everyday on here that will tell you the same as I have. In fact I did this today, ie install and commission redcare on same line as PDQ - worked no probs!!

Ronnie

Archived