Security Installer Community

No anti-tamper?

Guest Rocky

Recently fitted a Novagard 'Delta Metal' external sounder (bell box) onto a Galaxy 60 control panel.

Bell box worked fine, bells were very audible and strobe fired up ok.

Problem started when I decided to re-open the bell box to test the anti-tamper device, no bells?

Checked back at the panel and sure enough , internal sounders going off and tamper message on the keypad display.

Wiring (Novagard to Galaxy)...

0V (black wire) -------------> -

12V (red wire) ------------- > +

BELL SW (blue wire) -------> Output 1011 (default bell)

TMP RET (yellow wire) -----> Tamper

STR SW (white wire) -------> Output 1012 (default strobe)

TMP FEED (black wire)------> Shorted to 0V at the bell box

Measuring the voltage between the 12V terminal and the TMP RET terminal...

Tamper switch closed (normal) = 13V

Tamper switch open (tampered) = 8.4V

I've got a distinct feeling my 'Tamper switch open' voltage should be much lower, somewhere around 0V. Can't fathem out what's wrong, I started to suspect the bell box but I've since tried a second one and that was exactly same.

I've since dropped a transistor driven miniature relay into the Galaxy panel using the TMP RET wire to control the relay, but still no joy, still the same voltage drops.

I've tried the first of the two bell boxes on my own system at home (Galaxy 18) and still the same, no bells if tampered and 8.4V across the TMP RET when tampered.

Any ideas???

Aprreciate your comments guys but trying the bell box in SCB mode didn't work and it's difficult to reverse the TF and TR cables in the panel as I'm connecting 0V (the bell box supply) to the TF at the bell box, therefore I'm not using the TF in the panel.

I've since discovered the problem exists on a multitude of Gardiner Technology (Gard-Tec) bell boxes and not just their Novagard Delta M Series range.

Gard-Tec's technical support guys reckon they know about the problem and apparently I should be dropping a diode into the TR line (cathode to bell box).

News to me!!!

To cut a long story short, I tried the diode mod on my Galaxy 18 system at home and blow me, it actually worked!

I now have a very audible tamper proof bell box.

Bad news is, I reckon I've got to get my hands on a shed load of diodes.

In one of my past lifes (ie different alarm companies), we used to use a lot of gard - tec bell boxes as standard and we had to use diodes for it to work correctly - (and that was 5+ years ago , you,d have thought they,d have fixes it b now. Mind you the funny thing is it only applies to galaxys as i remember)

paul

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

I agree, I only seem to come across the anti-tamper problem when I pair up Gardiner Technology bell boxes with Galaxy panels.

I don't seem to have a problem with ADE, Scantronic, and alike...just the Galaxy stuff.

Bizarre eh?

Archived