Security Installer Community

Security For Conservatory

Guest Sammy

Hi,

I already have a Accenta G3 system with 3 pirs, a magnetic front door intruder detector and a vibration sensor on the back patio doors. The whole house is well covered and it was done by a competent engineer and I've had no problems since it was installed 3 years ago. The battery was replaced about 3 months ago.

I've recently had a conservatory built and would like to move the pir sensor from the kitchen into the conervatory, as it's a bit pointless being in the kitchen now, as the conservatory will be the 1st point of entry and not the kitchen. So my question is how to move/replace this pir; I'm guessing that I'll have to disconnect the kitchen pir from the panel and re-wire a new pir to the conservatory, which hopefully wouldn't be too hard - I already have 6 core alarm flex from B+Q. My real concern is the procedure to do this properly without damaging anything, including myself. Any suggestions would be welcome, including the type of pir needed for a conservatory.

PS - I have a multimeter which I can use competently.

Thanks

Hi Sammy,

I don't think it would be a good idea to put a PIR into a conservatory, all the sunlight through the windows can cause them to false alarm. I think you will be advised to have a dual-technology detector (microwave and PIR) installed, or rely on vibration/glass-break detectors.

It may be best to have a professional install the dual-tech, as they require correct siting and setting up, if you don't adjust the microwave component properly, you can end up with nothing more than a PIR.

Andrew

Any statement made or information provided in this post are the mere opinions of the author, and no inferrence is to be made as to the quality of information nor should any reliance be placed upon its contents.

Hi Sammy,

I don't think it would be a good idea to put a PIR into a conservatory, all the sunlight through the windows can cause them to false alarm. I think you will be advised to have a dual-technology detector (microwave and PIR) installed, or rely on vibration/glass-break detectors.

It may be best to have a professional install the dual-tech, as they require correct siting and setting up, if you don't adjust the microwave component properly, you can end up with nothing more than a PIR.

Andrew

cheers for that - I guessed that I would have to have a duel detector as the conservatory is south facing - I didn't relaise they would be complicated to set up. I was more worried about the ripping out of the pir in kitchen, as from other postings in the site I think I would need the engineer access code of the panel and also the procedure to disable the current pir and enable the new one. I'll be using the same zone, virtually the same type of detector ie pir (although a duel-tech), only difference being the length of the cable which will be longer. cheers again.

I would fit a Napco dual tech

You would have no problems with it

You can only get it trade

Thanks,

Not to worried about the sensor (as long as I can get hold of one) - was more concerned with how to remove the kitchen pir and replace it with the new duel-tech one - I take it I'll have to disable the panel, remove the old pir wiring, replace the new wiring with the duel tech pir attached, and then enable the panel. It sounds easy in theory.

I've already planned the cabling route and where to attach the duel-tech pir, just the replacing the pir WRT the panel is my biggest headache. Once again thanks.

I would avoid putting a sensor in a conservatory but we have on the odd occassion. An Optex FX50SQ is what I would fit the manufacturers say they work ok and we've not had a problem yet!

Bare in mind that dualtecs are part microwave so they will detect through the glass, so have more chance in my opinion to false alarm in this situation.

Trade Member

Protecting a conservatory is always a bit iffy. They are certainly one of the most vulnerable parts of the building, where access can be obtained relatively easily. I personally would chose a good quality Dual Tech, possibly with a look-down or "creep" lense to give good coverage.

Bare in mind that dualtecs are part microwave so they will detect through the glass, so have more chance in my opinion to false alarm in this situation.

Not if it has been set up and adjusted correctly.

Trade Member

I would avoid putting a sensor in a conservatory but we have on the odd occassion. An Optex FX50SQ is what I would fit the manufacturers say they work ok and we've not had a problem yet!

qfa

thats why id fit a sonic..how many dt's have you seen pointing outwards as opposed in inwards...mw will trip seeing bushes etc and most have a single edge pir..sonic everytime... :yes:

qfa

thats why id fit a sonic..how many dt's have you seen pointing outwards as opposed in inwards...mw will trip seeing bushes etc and most have a single edge pir..sonic everytime... :yes:

Water running down a drain pipe o/s a conservatory, as was a recent suspected case with an outwards DT :unsure:

Chris Teague (Sales & Operations Manager) Sightguard Intruder Division

Covering the Isle of Wight: - Design, Installation, Maintenance & Takeover of Intruder Alarms, Fire Alarms & Equipment, CCTV, Access Control, Nursecall. Keyholding Service, Guarding & Cash in Transit. SSAIB & NICEIC Registered Tel 01983 884000 / 884440

Any comments / opinions posted could be the voices in my head speaking, but they are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company

qfa

Any recommendations?

Adi

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

Archived