Security Installer Community

Scantronic 9800 Battery Fault

Guest Bollards

Guest Bollards

Hello,

I have moved into a house with a Scantronic 9800 Intruder Alarm which was installed in 1992. Overnight and this morning it has been going off internally and the display on the control panel is indicating a battery fault. I have phoned around a load of companies in the yellow pages and none of them are interested because we have no maintenance agreement with them and it is Christmas etc. etc.

Is there any way that I can stop it from doing it, i.e. removing the battery/pulling the mains out?

I have a 12 month old baby who can't sleep because of it and my husband isn't too happy either!

I have a pdf of a wiring diagram for what I believe to be the main control box, but am frightened of taking the cover off incase I make the bell go off outside. I know what the engineers code is because I found it on the internet and have tested it.

Any advice appreciated.

Helen

As a last resort,

You could kill the system buy removing the power but take care as there is 230v inside the panel.

I dont want to go into to much detail on a public site :) .

The external bell will ring when you remove the power but probally better to let it do that now, it wont last forever.

Still keep trying to get an engineer to come and fix it. Post your location and someone on this site may help.

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

The external bell will ring when you remove the power but probally better to let it do that now, it wont last forever.

Be aware though that if anybody complains to the Environmental Health Officer about the noise you could be fined up to

Guest Bollards

Thank you for your help and your replies. I am in the Exeter area.

I've finally got hold of the company which installed the alarm and the chap talked me through removing the cover on the end station and taking one of the terminals off the battery. Apparently this will stop the internal bell ringing - and it has done - at least for the last couple of hours. The display is still flashing bF though, which is to be expected. The mains are still on to the box, and I believe that this won't be a problem unless we get a power cut which will trigger the external bell to go off. It is unlikely that we will get a power cut, but if we do, will the bell go off outside indefinately or will it run out eventually and not go off again?

I think it will need attending to by a service engineer when the holidays are over. I have no experience of these things and do not know how much to expect to pay? Obviously I don't want to get ripped off and would appreciate an indication of the possible cost for comparison purposes.

So many questions.......

Thank you for your help and your replies. I am in the Exeter area.

I've finally got hold of the company which installed the alarm and the chap talked me through removing the cover on the end station and taking one of the terminals off the battery. Apparently this will stop the internal bell ringing - and it has done - at least for the last couple of hours. The display is still flashing bF though, which is to be expected. The mains are still on to the box, and I believe that this won't be a problem unless we get a power cut which will trigger the external bell to go off. It is unlikely that we will get a power cut, but if we do, will the bell go off outside indefinately or will it run out eventually and not go off again?

I think it will need attending to by a service engineer when the holidays are over. I have no experience of these things and do not know how much to expect to pay? Obviously I don't want to get ripped off and would appreciate an indication of the possible cost for comparison purposes.

So many questions.......

Who installed it?

We cover Somerset and Dorset but we can reccomend a company for Exeter.

Paul

PG Security Systems

Somerset

SSAIB Certificate of Merit Installers.

www.pgsecurity.co.uk

Guest Bollards
Who installed it?

We cover Somerset and Dorset but we can reccomend a company for Exeter.

Paul

Venture Security Systems

I presume that I don't need to go to the company who installed it.

Venture Security Systems

I presume that I don't need to go to the company who installed it.

Take out a maintenance contract and have the system serviced annually too.

Guest Bollards
Know them very well.

Would they not attend at all?

He didn't offer to attend, just told me what to do to silence the internal bell, which was adequate, and as we have never used the alarm anyway, there is not a problem in us being unable to set it until it is properly fixed. It was simple enough for me to do anyway!

Archived