Security Installer Community

Bt Remote Line Test

breff

I went out to a Redcare in No Response today that BT had apparently tested the line.

There was no dial tone or voltage at the block and nothing at the master socket even with the front plate removed to eliminate internal equipment.

When I spoke to a lady from BT I asked her where the line had been tested to and she replied 'where its terminated'.

Im sure Smart1 will be able to tell me or maybe some other telecoms engineers.

Where is it terminated?

What does their remote line test actually test, and how does it work?

cheers

Glenn

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I went out to a Redcare in No Response today that BT had apparently tested the line.

There was no dial tone or voltage at the block and nothing at the master socket even with the front plate removed to eliminate internal equipment.

When I spoke to a lady from BT I asked her where the line had been tested to and she replied 'where its terminated'.

Im sure Smart1 will be able to tell me or maybe some other telecoms engineers.

Where is it terminated?

What does their remote line test actually test, and how does it work?

cheers

Glenn

I am awaiting a reply on this - would be nice to know.

I recently reported my mothers phone as out-of-service, and they assured me the line test was OK, and that if they sent an engineer, and it proved to be our wiring, we would have to pay.

I KNEW the line was dead - I to plugged a test phone into the NTE5's 'rear' test socket.

The fault was actually due to some subbies for BT. They had replaced a D-Pole outside the house, and reterminated the pairs incorrectly. My mother had no dial tone (assume a spare pair), and some one else HAD HER LINE! God knows where their line was :hmm:

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

As far as I can work out, they just test to see if the line goes all the way the master socket or line block. It doesn't show if the line is going to the right house or been cut off/switched to another provider etc. Had loads of calls like it.

As far as I can work out, they just test to see if the line goes all the way the master socket or line block. It doesn't show if the line is going to the right house or been cut off/switched to another provider etc. Had loads of calls like it.

What does the system look for in the master socket?? Cap, Res, both?

What about at the NTTP if it isn't an NTE5? No cap or res then - just surge protection - if your lucky!

I don't know exactly what it tests, I do know it's completely pointless but it what the droids are trained to say. The test doesn't always do a live test either, it sometimes just gives the most recent results from the automatic line test, which can be from before the line went faulty.

I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't actually exist this 'test'!

I don't know exactly what it tests, I do know it's completely pointless but it what the droids are trained to say. The test doesn't always do a live test either, it sometimes just gives the most recent results from the automatic line test, which can be from before the line went faulty.

How often is the automatic line test?? I notice on our intruder alarms log, the telephone line being lost quickly every week during the night.

they do most work on the exchange thru the night....has anyone got bt to admit yes they were responsible for that line fault... :no:

Archived