Security Installer Community

Wireless Alarms And Signal Interference

Guest wishy

I bet guys who install wireless systems are perfect ones when tracing interference problems..

yup!! :ninja:

Bri

trade.gif

yup!! :ninja:

I have tried the thermostat in various positions, both away from the alarm control unit and closer to the boiler.

Thermostat works better, obviously, when about 1m away from the boiler. But not very practical as the kitchen, where the boiler is sighted has enormous fluctuations in temperature.

Also seems to defeat the point of having a wireless thermostat which has to remain so close to the boiler.

My original question was really one of curiosity as to wether this is a common problem with frequency interference problems between the new modern thermostats and alarm systems.

cheers guys.

My original question was really one of curiosity as to wether this is a common problem with frequency interference problems between the new modern thermostats and alarm systems.

cheers guys.

to be exact: wireless equipment that does not use UWB* technology is not modern anymore.. :fear:

Interference is caused due to fact that same radio channel is reserved for wireless alarm devices along with other stuff like wireless doorbells (and obviously wireless thermostats). What I would be afraid of as well is that does your wireless thermostat fill the 433MHz bandwith so that your wireless PIR is not able to send alarm signal to the control panel which would compromise your home security :bruce_h4h: .

*UWB stands for Ultra Wide Bandwith.

In my previous post I meant that you should power down the wireless ALARM devices in order to further diagnose.

Wireless devices can share the same frequency as they have secure coded transmissions between them and the receiver.

We had an incident a while back where by we had installed a Bosch Class VI wireless alarm. A "handyman" came along and fitted a wireless doorbell. When we came round to service the system the client said that her doorbell activates for no reason. Turns out every time she walked past one of the PIR's the doorbell rang - the handyman had left the doorbell on the factory default settings.

to be exact: wireless equipment that does not use UWB* technology is not modern anymore.. :fear:

Interference is caused due to fact that same radio channel is reserved for wireless alarm devices along with other stuff like wireless doorbells (and obviously wireless thermostats). What I would be afraid of as well is that does your wireless thermostat fill the 433MHz bandwith so that your wireless PIR is not able to send alarm signal to the control panel which would compromise your home security :bruce_h4h: .

*UWB stands for Ultra Wide Bandwith.

If it was a half decent system it should detect the jamming.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

Just got a reply from drayton, the thermostat people! Which stated that...

Yes, we are aware of this problem. Unfortunatley other products that use

the same frequency will interfere with the signal. All we can suggest is

that you move the Digistat RF2 unit to another area in your household to

see if you can find a suitable area that the alarm does not light up.

If this does not help, please try to change the frequwency of your alarm

system.

We also have a troubleshooting guide that may help you:-

(See attached file: Digistat troubleshooting procedure.pdf)

I hope this helps & sorts out the problem.

If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact

me.

Kind regards.

Gina Kimmins

Customer Care

They also suggested changing the wireless alarm default frequency. Can this be done with the Lyntek Nexus wireless alarm. It states in the alarm spec that its radio signal is 433MHz FM transmitter approved to MPT1340 Reciever narrow band, super-heterodyne type... :hmm:

cheers

edit: alarm signal doesn't seem to be compromised, I have tested that already.

Archived