Security Installer Community

Galaxy 8plus, Connecting a RIO?

ranger

Hello all,

As some of you may know, i have installed a galaxy 8plus with a nice new //.National Installer.// keypad.

I have got the system up and running, but, now i would like to install a RIO. I have the RIO sited, and wired to my detectors. Then i wired the A & B terminals to the panel, and the power supply. The detectors all power up, and the red LED on the RIO blinks.. Im using the right cable, as i found the type i should use from a previous post. But, the system doesnt seem to be picking any new zones up/modules. I exited engineers mode and it cleared fine..

If anyone could help as to maybe why or how to pick up the new zones, i would be greatful.

Ranger

The above is my personal opinion and not that of my employer or anyone else.

Hello all,

As some of you may know, i have installed a galaxy 8plus with a nice new //.National Installer.// keypad.

I have got the system up and running, but, now i would like to install a RIO. I have the RIO sited, and wired to my detectors. Then i wired the A & B terminals to the panel, and the power supply. The detectors all power up, and the red LED on the RIO blinks.. Im using the right cable, as i found the type i should use from a previous post. But, the system doesnt seem to be picking any new zones up/modules. I exited engineers mode and it cleared fine..

If anyone could help as to maybe why or how to pick up the new zones, i would be greatful.

Ranger

its called a galaxy 8 for a reason!! :P

Cant be done galaxy 8 = 8 zones max

Galaxy16+ = 16 zones, 8 on panel and 8 on a RIO

DIY and galaxy range dont mix

here here

THE BLACK KNIGHT

"Any comments / opinions posted are my opinion only and do not represent those of my employer or Company."

I was under the impression that the galaxy 8plus, can be extended with 1 RIO only, to have 16 zones..

OK well thank you guys. Ill have to come up with another way for this.

Ranger

Yeah, i might do that. Just a bit of a shame since i got it all set up the way i want it lol. The galaxy 60 would most likely cope with it better. I might do a bit of research... Thanks whistle!

Please note the galaxy 60 is loads harder to program than a galaxy 8

The 8 and the 16+ are domestic typ software the 18 onwards is more commersial so your part sets etc wont work the same.. GOOD LUCK you will need it

Just a quick question on the galaxy 60. I do actully have a Galaxy 60.. on my sofa.. a bit old and dis-used..

Im not compleatly sure if it works or not..

Does it have to have a Smart PSU with it? If so, which im rather sure it does.. where does it connect from the SPSU to the other PCB? As all it has in here is a 'buscuit' from a "+v, -v, A, B" connecting to another of the same type of port on the PCB.

Sorry if i have gone into to much detail for this area but, any help?

And i do realise the galaxy range is not for the DIYer but i seemed to manage the 8 plus fine, even if it is the smallest in the range.

Ranger

Just a quick question on the galaxy 60. I do actully have a Galaxy 60.. on my sofa.. a bit old and dis-used..

Im not compleatly sure if it works or not..

Does it have to have a Smart PSU with it? If so, which im rather sure it does.. where does it connect from the SPSU to the other PCB? As all it has in here is a 'buscuit' from a "+v, -v, A, B" connecting to another of the same type of port on the PCB.

Sorry if i have gone into to much detail for this area but, any help?

And i do realise the galaxy range is not for the DIYer but i seemed to manage the 8 plus fine, even if it is the smallest in the range.

Ranger

The Galaxy 60 can have either the dumb or the smart PSU,

From your description it has a Smart Psu and it is connected correctly.

I'm sure you feel confident having done the 8+ but as was mentioned above,

The Galaxy 18 upwards have totaly different firmware and a much more complex menu structure. Seasoned engineers have difficulty with it's plethora of options so I'm pretty sure you'll struggle with it. :(

Your bordering on the edge of what we can discuss here as the Galaxy 18 upwards are high end commercial panels. If you have the engineering manual then read it thoroughly, it will tell you EVERYTHING you need to know. :yes:

If you are back within a week I'll know you havent read it thoroughly :whistle:

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Thanks Bellman,

I do have the manual yes,

If you claim that is connected correctly, i suppose i could give it a go.

I will read it again, go over it in my head and ill give it a try. Well i dont know if it works for a start, but fingers crossed.

Will post back soon,

Thanks you guys!

Based on the information you provided I can confidently say the main board and PSU are correctly connected.

The manuals 268 pages :fear: make heavy reading but they are well written and easy to understand.

We try to be of help where we can but we can't discuss certain things of a more technical nature for security reasons :yes:

Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Yeah, when the manual is long.. but very well split up as you say. I understand on the reasons about not going into anything..

Ill let you know.

Ranger

:-| Hello all again..

This is sorta aimed at bellman: :P

Well, I am back again lol. Right, ive taken a look at the galaxy 60. When i connect the mains up to it, the PSU doesnt seem to do anything. I tested the mains and fuses ect but it seems to be the PSU. I think the main PCB is fine, but obviously not without power.

Any tips/hints or anything BellMan? Is it possible to buy the PSU boards? Could provide pictures in PM for you if you would like.. :rolleyes:

Anyhelp would be great again, thanks. :P

Regards, Ranger :whistle:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Trulloman
I was under the impression that the galaxy 8plus, can be extended with 1 RIO only, to have 16 zones..

OK well thank you guys. Ill have to come up with another way for this.

Ranger

If you can get hold of a galaxy 16+ chip you can swap it for the 8 and then your board will see the Rio.

Archived