Security Installer Community

Christmas Eve Callout

It was 11:30 on xmas eve 2001 and the phone rings, "Hello, is this the Engineer on call weve had a break in and we need you to come out straight away" the keyholder didnt even know where the main control panel was, he just noticed the keypad was dead, so of Cliff (A fellow Engineer) sets armed with a few new fuses.

Anyway he gets on site just after 12 midnight to find yeah they had been broken into, and guess what he found was stolen.......? The Alarm Control Panel.......?.

Needless to say someone had stolen the main control panel and all the paperwork inside it, all he had was 50 cut of wires and no wiring schedule, they`d even taken the redcare unit. The intruders had Probably thought of coming back later on to finish the job, thinking they wouldnt get comms set up again until a few days after christmas.

The bloke wouldnt wait until morning, so cliff had to start on it there and then. The keyholder wondered of home and left him to it. Returning at 07:30 with a flask of tea.

To cut a very very long story short, cliff left site 15 hours later after getting the boss out of bed to open up the office to get and drop him off some new control equipment, (he`d used up my spare panel a few days before, so knew I hadnt got one) and then at 9am I joined him to help fathom out the wiring and tracing of all the detectors. It was a massive warehouse and office complex.

This was by far the worst callout we had ever experienced, and we had a lot of fun setting up a temporary Digicom on christmas day, central station had a good laugh as I explained what had happened.

WHAT A NIGHTMARE. :blink:

This is the true Story of my fellow Engineer Cliff, I was the chappy that joined him at 09:00 christmas morning.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

• 4 years later...

That's dedication (or a good call-out package!!)

My common "inconvenient" time for a call-out is always New Years eve. I think I've been called out the last three years on the bounce, and many times in the previous years before that.

Once, when I got to the house, it was to repair a fault which had been there since August!!!

have you checked ' E Bay'. you never know they may have being after the control panel......

Kevin Scott. Owner of KK Alarms...... Installation .. Service .. Repair ...... Thoughout.. Northumberland and North Tyneside ..... Tel:01670 361948 (call diverted after 15 seconds) or 07947444114

bit excessive nicking the panel, were the installation charges too high in your area dave? lol

never had the panal nicked , found a few out in the street or garden though, and one went through a next doors green house - must have made more noise the the flipping bell.

just before christmas i was called in to fit an emergency cctv system to a block of flats after a few incidents,

1) Very large Tv set and i mean large was stolen from gaged storage area, but ironically the Tv had come over from the states with the tennent and would not work on 50 hz. also they left the remotes in the carton :rolleyes:

2) someone had got into the carpark over the night time and astonishingly stole the tyre'ss off a big BMW - yes only the tyre's. they had removed the wheels which they had to overcome the security lock nutts, then took off the tyre's wrecking the wheel rims in the process, and they used the above caged storage area when removing the tyres.

estimated repairs cost

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

Archived