Security Installer Community

Galaxy 16+ Resistor Spec Advice Please

Guest Gti Jazz Blue

Guest Gti Jazz Blue

Hi,

I am about to move house and the house has a Scantronics 9800 installed (defunct) I have picked up a Galaxy 16+, 2RKPs and a Texecom Bell secondhand off Ebay.

Now I will be changing the sensor wiring as the Galaxy is EOL my question is regards the spec of resistors I will need, specifically the type (power rating).

The RKP RS485 Requires 680Ohm termination and the on-board one is rather large and looks like a wirewound, do I need a high power on for the RKP termination or is a Metal Film .6W sufficient.

The Zones require a pair of 1KOhm for the EOL and tamper, what rating do these need to be again is Metal Film .6W sufficient.

I will be ordering a load from Maplins online.

I plan to wire it up in the garage beforehand to test and get myself familiar with the programming, I am in IT and have managed to download the Installation manual, so should be OK on that side (hopefully).

Thanks very much for any help.

Regards,

Paul

Hi,

I am about to move house and the house has a Scantronics 9800 installed (defunct) I have picked up a Galaxy 16+, 2RKPs and a Texecom Bell secondhand off Ebay.

Now I will be changing the sensor wiring as the Galaxy is EOL my question is regards the spec of resistors I will need, specifically the type (power rating).

The RKP RS485 Requires 680Ohm termination and the on-board one is rather large and looks like a wirewound, do I need a high power on for the RKP termination or is a Metal Film .6W sufficient.

The Zones require a pair of 1KOhm for the EOL and tamper, what rating do these need to be again is Metal Film .6W sufficient.

I will be ordering a load from Maplins online.

I plan to wire it up in the garage beforehand to test and get myself familiar with the programming, I am in IT and have managed to download the Installation manual, so should be OK on that side (hopefully).

Thanks very much for any help.

Regards,

Paul

680 Ohm 0.25W for end of data line and 1K Ohm 0.25W for zone termination.

Don't forget to use Belden cable for the data wiring NOT standard alarm cable otherwise you WILL have a bucket full of grief with it. :yes:

The galaxy programming isn't for the faint hearted but if you have the install manual then things should be easier, The best advice I could give would be to read it and then READ IT AGAIN! :yes:

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Guest Gti Jazz Blue
680 Ohm 0.25W for end of data line and 1K Ohm 0.25W for zone termination.

Don't forget to use Belden cable for the data wiring NOT standard alarm cable otherwise you WILL have a bucket full of grief with it. :yes:

The galaxy programming isn't for the faint hearted but if you have the install manual then things should be easier, The best advice I could give would be to read it and then READ IT AGAIN! :yes:

Regards

Bellman

Thank you very much Bellman, I shall order those online now.

I intend to play with the programming on the bench in the garage with out a bell before I install it to learn any idiosyncrosies in the programming.

My only concern is that I don't have the user or engineer codes however I have found a procedure on the net that resets it. Without you saying how (for security) can you just confirm (if you know) if there is a hardware way of resetting back to factory.

Regards,

Paul

Yes it can be reset back to it's default settings.

And you are correct, I'm unable to tell you how to achieve this (even though I know) for security reasons.

Regards

Bellman

Guest Gti Jazz Blue

On the cable front I can't find the Belden cable at Maplins. Would foil shielded UTP do the job as it is twisted and I can earth the foil at the panel end to stop any interferance.

What is annoying is that I'm in IT and ditched a reel of 4 core shielded RS232 cable about a year ago as we don't use anything like that anymore. It had been kicking round in a store for about 5 years un-used.

cheers,

Paul

Hi Paul

It should be OK but be careful when terminating as some foils also have bare stranded wires that can short out if you don't see to them properly. I tape the ends just to make sure(sounds horrible but works for me) as there's not much room in the keypad. :yes:

Best wishes

Vince

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

cheers Vince,

I'm a great fan of heatshrink sleaving and as it is my own Alarm I can take as long as I want.

Paul

Yeah thats better still but don't over cook it :whistle:

Practice in the morning, practice at night. Practice in the evening, until you get it right.

Only make sure you are practising in the right way at the right time for it.

Hi Paul

It should be OK but be careful when terminating as some foils also have bare stranded wires that can short out if you don't see to them properly. I tape the ends just to make sure(sounds horrible but works for me) as there's not much room in the keypad. :yes:

Best wishes

Vince

AArrrgggghhhhhh, :fear:

ONLY USE BELDEN :yes:

as I said Earlier:

Don't forget to use Belden cable for the data wiring NOT standard alarm cable otherwise you WILL have a bucket full of grief with it. yes.gif
And as the Galaxy install manual says ;)
The cable used to wire the RS485 (AB) line must be screened twisted pair (Part No. W002) or Belden 8723 equivalent.

Lost count of the number of galaxies I have been called to because of RS485 problems.

Belden is what Microtech specified. :yes:

You can buy it from HERE.

Regards

Bellman

I read somewhere recently (here I think) that someone was informed by techtalk or tech support that alarm cable was ok for certain lengths of runs.

I know it does actually work (my galaxy keypad has been working fine with alarm cable , for years) but I'm sure it was confirmed by microtech. :hmm:

If you don't know......ask.

Archived