Security Installer Community

Veritas Excel Keypad Time Drifts

Guest davidh.jones

Guest davidh.jones

I have been lurking in your group. A great place to find out what's availiable and sound sensible advice.

I am replacing my 20 year old control box because the key switch is intermittently jamming - and getting worse by the day. I originally installed the system and it works well. The only false alarms we had were in the early days of mobile phones. We used to charge our phones under the kitchen PIR - when the phones were polled, the PIR set off the system!

I now have a Veritas Excel on my dining room table and am slowly setting it up prior to the grand changeover!

I originally ran the Veritas control box on battery only, and noticed the time display lost time. I thought it would settle down when the mains was connected.

Now the mains is connected (I have checked the panel programmed to work at 50Hz.) I am losing around 5 seconds an hour. That's will be 2 minutes a day!

Is this normal for these panels?

In a household that has a programmable heating thermostat running of Rugby radio time and several other radio controlled clocks - I did not anticipate modern alarm system's clock could drift so much!

Thanks for any advice received - and all the advice received while "lurking".

Yours

Dave

A bit off topic, but the Galaxy has a advance / r etard setting for the clock, one of the Texecom guru's may tell you similar.

You could have got a replacement keyswitch or used a stand alone prox by the way.

Welcome to the forums by the way.

* edited because Dave's filter swapped r.etard for idiot which was quite apt.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Guest davidh.jones
A bit off topic, but the Galaxy has a advance / r etard setting for the clock, one of the Texecom guru's may tell you similar.

You could have got a replacement keyswitch or used a stand alone prox by the way.

Welcome to the forums by the way.

* edited because Dave's filter swapped r.etard for idiot which was quite apt.

71310[/snapback]

Thanks for the rapid reply. It's strange alarms have to have a "tweak" for time. I can't see a drift adjustment for time in the standard installation manual - maybe there is a hidden option? I guess switching to 60Hz may speed it up - but I won't do that!

I did consider replacing the key, but I quite fancied a "time log" of alarm activity. I also love gadgets, so relish the chance of "playing" with someting new and interesting! I am also looking forward to challanging my daughter on the exact time she sneaks home from partying! :realmad:

Thanks again.

Dave

Guest davidh.jones

Mark,

Thanks for the reply - I'm glad you agree it's not right.

I'll give the supplier a ring on Monday.

Do you know where the time comes from? Is it the control panel or the keypad?

Thinking about it, I must be the control panel as the logs would be very odd if they relied on the "local time" at each pad!

I was worried it may have to go back and I have just started "unpicking" the old control box!

Hopefully I can just send the PCB back.

Thanks again everone.

Dave

Yes the keypad is dumb, nothing is controlled or stored on it.

71321[/snapback]

Except for the Text

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Guest davidh.jones
Except for the Text

71324[/snapback]

That must be why you have to press the "Broadcast button" - it all make sense now!

Thanks

Dave

Only if you have multiple keypads

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest davidh.jones
I'll give the supplier a ring on Monday.........

I eventually contacted Texecom via e-mail.

They said the time should not drift as it's set from the mains frequency. I don't believe my frequency can unilaterally drift from the rest of the UK!

I am starting to form a theory that the time drifts during the day, but is reset at midnight when the alarm appears to do a self-test.

I now find, that in general it only drifts about 5" a day - I can live with that.

I don't think I'll return the panel.

Thanks again for all your help.

Yours

Dave

PS For what it's worth from a DIY point of view, I intend to put a review of the Veritas Excel on your review page. So far, this panel has not been reviewed.

Guest davidh.jones
PS For what it's worth from a DIY point of view, I intend to put a review of the Veritas Excel on your review page. So far, this panel has not been reviewed.

Whoops, my posting above was only the fifth. This one is a sixth - I can now post my review!

Dave

Archived