Security Installer Community

What's the worst installation you've seen

Guest Deryck Tintagel

I've seen a fair few terrible installs,unfortunately by one of the engineers working at our branch. I once went to a well known high street toy shop which he had upraded to the old cp42 to a galaxy.

1)The panel was wired in 2 core mains flex which was then joined in block connector to 3 core flex in the cupboard which the panel was mounted on-no earth.

2)No screen was connected on the beldon to the rkp

3)All cct resistors were in the panel,with no tamper connected

4)No grommet strip

5)No stuffing gland/grommet strip or cable tie securing the mains cable

6)panel held up with 1''8 screws

and here's the best bit.....

The bell cable was lying in the bottom of the panel, not connected, and the only sounder connected was a banshee in the 1st floor stockroom,which he had wired the polarity round the wrong way,so that didn't work.

Did I mention it was AUDIBLE ONLY!

• 3 months later...

There have been so many bad systems I have had to repair, it's hard to know where to start...

There is a local company who i hear so many bad things about, and I have been called to repair a number of their systems. The wiring is shocking. No pride in the job at all.

At one job, my first check was a walk test, and I found a pir not working - well, the led was lighting, but the panel not responding.

A check revealed it wasn't even wired in!

Oh, and they never seem to use tampers...

Another job was simply adding an additional pir. All went well, until I carried out a walk test (I should have done this first to let the customer witness what works and what doesn't).

The front door didn't respond.

I asked the owner if they were aware, and they said it DID work, and the window fitter had refitted the shocker and contact to the door when the door was replaced (yeah, I know...a shocker on a front door and it also had a letter box!).

The clown obviously hadn't a clue what he had done, and had shorted the +12v with the alarm circuit giving a permanent closed signal.

There have been so many bad systems I have had to repair, it's hard to know where to start...

At one job, my first check was a walk test, and I found a pir not working - well, the led was lighting, but the panel not responding.

A check revealed it wasn't even wired in!

Oh, and they never seem to use tampers...

So how did the LED work??

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

So how did the LED work??

Yeah, I should have added, the 12v was there, but no tamper or alarm. Totally pointless!

Sorry for my poor explanation.

• 3 weeks later...

Just taken this job on.........

post-10574-1201261163_thumb.jpg

This pic was taken after day one!, it took us 3 hours just to clear all the boxes, cables, junk etc from the room. The client has just had a new extension built which has a further new server room. They once had an IT dept but then outsourced everything. None of the exiting patch panels / wall sockets are marked up. There's no documentation for any of the network/router/server/CCTV configuration.

Work involed....

Existing server room:

● Replace existing wall cabinet with 42U free standing rack.

● Re-terminate all existing CAT5 cabling: test and identify at patch panel/wall sockets.

● Supply/install patch panels to terminate existing telephone system onto (currently telephone extension are hard wired into the offices) to create structured cabling layout.

● Supply, install, terminate and test 8 core 50/125 fibre optic cable between new 42u Comms Room

Cabinet and new server room 42U cabinet. 1Gb network backbone.

● Full re-install of existing CCTV system. (This currently covers the loading bays)

● Install dedicated IP network for new CCTV system (10 x Axis IP Cams), this will then be integrated into new time & attendance / access system (third party system)

New extension:

Supply, install, terminate and test:

● 11 x 24 way Cat6 patch panels, into new 42U cabinet

● 2 x 24 way patch panels for telephone extensions

● 248 x Cat6 cable links emanating from the patch panels, terminated in 124 x twin RJ45 modular outlets at positions to be identified within 4 compartment dado trunking on the ground/first floor, as advised.

● Cable management panels

● All patch leads

...also installing 10 x ceiling speakers for music / phone announcement.

2 x 42" Panasonic plasmas into the board / meeting room

1 x NEC projector, screen, cabling

3 x Cisco Wireless Access Points

Documenting all network infrastructure......

Should keep us busy for a while :wacko:

this will make you smile,

very large building, big glass front 3 sets of powered single leaf glass doors for disabled access.

the threshhold is a grid, remove this there is a metal tray to catch fag ends and other flotsam. underneath the tray is ---- all the electrics, so not the best idea anyone ever had, especially as its not a waterproof enclosure and the council cleansing dept have a habit of hosing down the pavement outside with a power jet :rolleyes:

on one door there are 4 x metal switched fuses in the recess, apart from the water problems the gap is very finite, so the result of the heavy stationary delivery trolly passing over the grill, push's down on the tray - and turns off the spurs which stops the doors :lol:

see photo of spurs and psu

there are ordinary metal cased psu's along with ordinary plastic boxes in the recess, these deal with fire alarm and access control interfaces, non are bushed let alone gland's. chuck in amiad of connections - omg is not doing justice.

the alarm door contact is jointed in simple open terminal block - and left in free air, the resistor legs are not insulated and like i said this is a metal tray, alarm works done by shall we say a large company.

If you think education is difficult, try being stupid!!!!

• 4 months later...

hi

got a call last night at 12am lady on phone with alarm going of in the background said she moved in to the house 2months ago and had never touched the alarm she had the code thoe any why got dressed and went on my way by the way this wasnt an alarm that we had installed she called the install number that the old owner had left but no answer so we went when i got there and found the main paniel it became clear what had happen the supply to the paniel was feed of of the cupboard light which was pluged into an extension lead no spur the alarm feed cables were just taped up with the light cables no jb or connecters any whay she wanted it disconected so powered down disconneted sab and opened up paniel the system had been wired up in bt cable on furthe exsamanation of house there wasnt sensors in all rooms and were there were sensors thay were point at the ceiling this system had been installed in 2006 thay must of riped of the old lady how lived there they were an electrical company that did the job discrace to us sparkes :)

Archived