Security Installer Community

When to Replace PIR's?

djrock

IF you are getting false alarms and the pir seems ok then-

1.the cable is ok(volt & resistance)

2.panel is ok incl battery

3.nothing in the enviroment of the pir is likley to be the cause

then I would change the pir :)

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

Hello, When should you replace pir's?

Thankyou

djrock

69701[/snapback]

JB-Eye have a policy of two false alarms for each detector in a rolling 12-month period thats one of the reasons JB-EYE use engineers re-set after unconfirmed alarms (we are right everyone else is wrong) because we maintain our customer sites not just sevice them. :yes:

jef

Customers!

engineers re-set after unconfirmed alarms (we are right everyone else is wrong)

jef

69717[/snapback]

I have always said this needs to be in force, I have had sites that have fa'd dozens of times only to get reset 'because they could'

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Hello, I have walk test all the PIRs and there fine. I do get a false alarm on one of my Zones once in a blue moon. The hard part is which PIR is it since two are wired into one zone. I know the two that are wired into the one zone and they walk tested fine. When i get the time i will split them up. Not too easy job as i though since i am sure they are joined at one of the pirs since theres no join in the control panel for them just one 6 core. So that means running another 6 core under the floor.

I though of changing the PIRs since technology is changing and PIRs are getting better thats why i was thinking of changing them since there getting old. Its just like computers.

Before anybody starts at me about two pir's in one zone that was not me that wired them a pro did it years and years and years ago we just changed the panel and left it.

thankyou

djrock

In that case then, I would check everything on that circuit and note down any variations after regulkar testing (wayward resistances etc...). You could also maybe swap the boards in the PIR's for others on the system and see if the fault follows the PIR's. This will narrow it down to cable\panel\PIR fault. It may not be the PIR's at fault.

Hello, What sort of tests can i do? Like check the voltages that both pirs are receiving. The one thing i am not 100% sure on is testing the resistance with the multimeter.

I can swap 1 pir's board but not the other one since it

Archived