Security Installer Community

Break glass detectors

Guest Rocky

Not convinced these break glass detectors are worth the hassle.

I struggle to get around 50% of them to activate and most of the ones I do activate only work if I hold the test piece (an electronic break glass simulator resembling a table-tennis raquet) right up against them.

I think I've only ever seen 2 or 3 that I've managed to trip from the extremes of the room, i.e. as far from the detector as possible.

What do the rest of you think...

Not convinced these break glass detectors are worth the hassle.

I struggle to get around 50% of them to activate and most of the ones I do activate only work if I hold the test piece (an electronic break glass simulator resembling a table-tennis raquet) right up against them.

I think I've only ever seen 2 or 3 that I've managed to trip from the extremes of the room, i.e. as far from the detector as possible.

69424[/snapback]

right place right time there good....but it still make me :ranting: when i see them fitted in windows which have shutters..

right place right time there good....but it still make me  :ranting:  when i see them fitted in windows which have shutters..

69425[/snapback]

Agreed in a town centre with loads of p!ss heads kicking the shutters Yet another call out for no reason, Argg

69424[/snapback]

they dont usually have a range of more than a few meters - maybe the area you are testing needs more detectors.

I always found jiggling your keys is a good way to test them :)

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

I always found jiggling your keys is a good way to test them :)

69547[/snapback]

QFA and that is what worries me about them and why I dont like them.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

I dont think they are something you would fit from choice only if it was an insurance or customer requirement they always seem a bit hit and miss to me with different types of glass behaving in so many different ways frequency wise I would prefere a disclaimer in the spec and at least to have a PIR backing it up!!!!!!.There were only ever one tester per branch when I installed these and no one ever new where it was!!!!so it was a thump on the glass and a rattle of car keys to test them,not exactly compliant I would have thought?.

Paul

We never fit them as the only means of detection. Only part of the confirmation for shop fronts etc, with a DT covering down the inside of the window. :)

Top tip: if you ever catch fire, try to avoid seeing yourself in the mirror, because i bet thats what REALLY throws you into a panic and dont forget the one thing you cant recycle is wasted time.

Agreed in a town centre with loads of p!ss heads kicking the shutters Yet another call out for no reason, Argg

69429[/snapback]

Never got that in the 'old days' with foil !!!!!!

:hmm:

Archived