Security Installer Community

Speech dialler cables outside

Guest gary

Gary, if the phone line gets chopped either yours clipped down the house or bt's it won't help the dialler will it. OK so lets say that Gary goes to all the trouble of keeping the cable inside, BT's is clipped on the outside and is easy to get to with a pair of snips.... what difference is it going to make really. Gary all puting the tamper in is going to make the alarm go off, personally I wouldn't sugget going up on bt's pole and shorting 2 of the spares together in their junction box and connecting your alarm cable to their incomming line.... I'm sure they'd be a little upset.... but I can see where your comming from and in theory it would be a nice idea, and for a member of the public to be thinking about this... I must say I'm impressed. If you want to clip the cable down next to their's it'll make no odds if the line is cut so if your happy with the way it looks I'd get on with the job before anyone else on here drives you up the wall!!!

Best Regards Tony, Proprietor TJ Securities.

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

Gary, if the phone line gets chopped either yours clipped down the house or bt's it won't help the dialler will it. OK so lets say that Gary goes to all the trouble of keeping the cable inside, BT's is clipped on the outside and is easy to get to with a pair of snips.... what difference is it going to make really. Gary all puting the tamper in is going to make the alarm go off, personally I wouldn't sugget going up on bt's pole and shorting 2 of the spares together in their junction box and connecting your alarm cable to their incomming line.... I'm sure they'd be a little upset.... but I can see where your comming from and in theory it would be a nice idea, and for a member of the public to be thinking about this... I must say I'm impressed. If you want to clip the cable down next to their's it'll make no odds if the line is cut so if your happy with the way it looks I'd get on with the job before anyone else on here drives you up the wall!!!

Best Regards Tony, Proprietor TJ Securities.

69581[/snapback]

Once the part is ordered get on with it is what I will do.

As regards with the tamper I wasn't going to touch BT's main incoming just twist a spare pair in my cable at the dialler end and connect the panel end in series with the others.

At least by an alarm going of while still outside is surely bonus.

Thanks for the help.

Don't just stick the spare pair in the tamper loop, use a relay for electrical seperation. Inteference from the BT line could cause random activations and faults on the panel and also BT wiring can in some circumstances be in a different electrical class to the alarm cabling and shouldn't be mixed.

Gary, fair do's what lurch is saying is right about putting a relay in, the phone voltage is at around 50v and the alarm pairs for the tamper will have an induced voltage spiked onto them from the telephone in the same cable. I'm sure if you ask lurch nicely he'll tell you what relay to use and where you can get on from.... and even how to connect it. He's not being funny just helpful

CCTV Intruder Access Control

Tony Hughes, Proprietor,

TRADE MEMBER

I think you can program 1 of the outputs on the Texecom Dialler as 'Line Fault', connect that through a relay into the tamper loop.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Gary, fair do's what lurch is saying is right about putting a relay in, the phone voltage is at around 50v and the alarm pairs for the tamper will have an induced voltage spiked onto them from the telephone in the same cable. I'm sure if you ask lurch nicely he'll tell you what relay to use and where you can get on from.... and even how to connect it. He's not being funny just helpful

69620[/snapback]

Lurch,

(in a nice voice)out of interest what relay would I need,as I've said previousley I may just get the job done and worry about the more technical stuff later.

Sorry this topic is going on a bit,let me know when you are all bored of it!! :rolleyes:

You just want a NO single pole relay with a 12VDC coil. CPC will have the relay somewhere, I'll have a look in a minute for one.

EDIT: there's loads, just search for 'relay SPNO' or 'relay 12VDC'. Alternatively, pop down Halfords or similar and use an automotive relay.

Connect the power to the relay coil from the AUX 12v terminals on the panel and run the -ve through the spare pair on the BT cable. Connect the NO contacts into the tamper loop. When the BT cable is cut the relay goes open circuit and triggers a tamper alarm. I can't remember if you can do this on the 800L but you can connect the NO terminals to a spare zone and set it as 24hr or similar on some panels.

Why go to all this effort with a speech dialer.

1. if the bt line is outside the house so what, without Redcare a line fault wont matter once its cut and the system on the premises raises an alarm who's going to act?

2. You want to be able to listen in if the system activates, what will you do if you hear a burglary in progress? Do you really wantto hear your house being done over.

3. If your out of town, what good will it do knowing your house has been done over and you cant do ANYTHING about it.

4. You wont get a Police Response to a speach dialler.

The listen in facility is a gimmick, unless the system is monitored by an arc with a Police or Security Response it will only cause you problems.

If you really want a speach dialler fit it next to the panel and run the BT cable external. If the burglar wants in your house he will, regardless of how you run cables.

Archived