Security Installer Community

Speech dialler cables outside

Guest gary

Why go to all this effort with a speech dialer.

1. if the bt line is outside the house so what, without Redcare a line fault wont matter once its cut and the system on the premises raises an alarm who's going to act?

2. You want to be able to listen in if the system activates, what will you do if you hear a burglary in progress? Do you really wantto hear your house being done over.

3. If your out of town, what good will it do knowing your house has been done over and you cant do ANYTHING about it.

4. You wont get a Police Response to a speach dialler.

The listen in facility is a gimmick, unless the system is monitored by an arc with a Police or Security Response it will only cause you problems.

If you really want a speach dialler fit it next to the panel and run the BT cable external. If the burglar wants in your house he will, regardless of how you run cables.

69655[/snapback]

In answer to some of your questions:

1)If an alarm is raised we are luckily enough to have friends as close neighbours,opposite,next door etc.

2)At least if you know someone is in the house we can phone a neighbour and make sure they are aware of the problem.

3)If we are out of town at least again a neighbour could investigate (not at any risk to themselves of course)and let us know if we have to return or not.

4)I didn't exspect that anyway.

Just to add our other next door neighbour had an attempted break in just after we left to go local shopping and just before they come home.If this was our property not being to far from home at all may have given me a chance to get back a bit lively!

And even in the case of false alarms it would be a bit more sociable if I was only up the road to pop in and sort the problem.

At the end of the day for the price they are on some of the wholsalers seen on this website I don't think it is a bad idea to know wants going on why your not there.

Oh!and by the way I am installing it as you mentioned.

Are you serious about putting your neighbours at risk? If there is a potential intruder on the premises.

Heres another option that might be of interest Home Monitor

69671[/snapback]

Thanks,

Interesting link.

As for the neighbours, I would not expect a full scale assault :boxing: but just a peek out the window to let me know whats going on.

But as I said thanks for that link I never realised how much was available.

Hi Gary,

Have you thought about using a gsm dialler?

there are some on the market that will send a sms message and ring up to 10 phone numbers in an event of an alarm activation.

Martin

Trade Member

It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice!!

Martin Hanfo

CCTV - Intruder Alarms - Access Control - Security Lighting - Locks

Covering South Wales

07903 967045

Guest Cerberus NI

This may appear simplistic but if the guys going to run it outside in a conduit then unless he marks the conduit "CAUTION - DO NOT CUT.INTRUDER LINK" then who's to know what it is.Yes,I know it goes against the regs but its not going to an ARC is it?

BT are funny about connecting non approved items directly to their lines,even if they are spare.

BT are funny about connecting non approved items directly to their lines,even if they are spare.

69700[/snapback]

But nothing non-approved is being connected to their line.

Guest Cerberus NI

We wanted to use a spare pair for a signal from a fire panel (volt free contact) and,this site being as it was,rang BT up just to make sure it was ok.Talk about a lecture!!!

Hi Gary,

Have you thought about using a gsm dialler?

there are some on the market that will send a sms message and ring up to 10 phone numbers in an event of an alarm activation.

Martin

69680[/snapback]

Martin,

From what I have seen these seem to work out quite a bit more exspensive.

Lurch,

"run the -ve through the spare pair on the BT cable." ?

Dodgy  :banned:

70036[/snapback]

Dont worry I've given up on the idea now of the tamper pair with the B.T cable, I was just really wondering if it was possible or if people thought it might have been a good idea.seems a bit 50/50 :hmm: .

Archived