Security Installer Community

where to start

Guest wayneradford

can any one point me in the direction of where i can find out about currrent legislation etc, governing bodies accredatations etc etc

67146[/snapback]

NSI

SSAIB

BSI

This was a quote from a NSI inspector at IFSEC about manned guarding and alarm companies :ninja:

Any alarm company not tried in or running a manned guarding company will go out of business within the next 3 to 5 years!!

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

i think i might have to scroll the internet to find one ??

67149[/snapback]

Keep an eye on the posts from tonight Wayne and some one may point you to some body but otherwise I think you are right! J.Paul is correct about the people to contact about requirements info but their is so much of it it may be a bit of a haystack to find what is relevent,just to help this is a list of topics which I think is relevent to your initial enquiries;

1. Obviously a general idea as to the regs etc which apply to each type of system.

2.Intruder signaling ie digital comms to ARC,redcare to arc,autodialer,text messaging.types of detection.

3.CCTV,recording,transmission use of external detectors with cctv system to indicate possible alert,external alert to arc or 24hr lodge(this is the most interesting direction as far as you are concerned i think as it allows you to offer cover at night with no permannent guard but using detectors and cctv investigate from a central point of a possible problem see www.quick.com i'm sure it will interest you.

4.access control-what type-badge issuing-multi site or sigle site administration.

I still think your best route is a consultant though! regards Paul.

I still think your best route is a consultant though!

Consultants are more for the end user/client. You can get them to advice on how to improve your business and quality standards etc, but they don

The link SECBOY meant was http://www.quickcctv.com/ (I think!).

Colin has written some good advice. But there are consultants out there for this industry who can help with what you need. I know of 2 people who are in that line of business who would be able to provide some good impartial advice, however, drawing up proposals and giving you a tutorial in the areas that you need will not be cheap (professional day rates etc. ).

Even with Colin's 4 options you still need to know what you are getting into before you get to that stage.

My thoughts anyway.

Zak Tankel - Managing Director - Security First (UK) - www.securityfirst.uk.com

Disclaimer: Any comments or opinions expressed by me are my own as a member of the public and not of my employer or Company.

• 4 weeks later...

You need to know the business inside out! You must have very experienced staff in this industry that you can trust. If not you can eaisly be caught out and a job priced at 20k will turn into 30k because you do not know the reg's, when the consultant inspects the job and catches you out on items not included you will have to pay for it off your own back as it is expected because it is something in the reg's which you have missed.

Sorry this is very harsh info but it has happened.

Gupster>>>

Guest wayneradford

decisions decisions :hmm: some more thought is going to be needed, i would buy a company if i could only find some thing localish, and at reasonable money but having trauled the internet and papers there seems to be nothing about, if any one does no of any one for sale please drop me a pm

This may come over as a bit rude but the intention is to help. You are in a guarding situation a job that requires little training and a job any one of us on here can do. Guards are historically paid low wages working long hours.

67054[/snapback]

Zac it depends on what type of Guarding is required. Yes I agree most Static Co's are just looking for arses on seats. In my experience of being in that industry for 5 years it depends what site and what company you work for. My belief is these people are always taken to the bottom of the work stack yet some of these guys and including my self have saved lives and property. Not every one has what it takes to be inactive for 8-12 hrs and then spring into life when required. Yes agree wages were and still are poor but that is changing and I don

Archived