Security Installer Community

query on building work

Guest jimfrenchy

Guest jimfrenchy

Looking for some expert advice!!

A couple of years ago I installed in my house a Scantronic 9448+ Style, nothing fancy, a control panel, 6 zones and external bell box Flashguard to mid terrace victorian house. Have had no problems with it.

We are about to have a new kitchen installed with extensive building work to the room that will take about 3 weeks. At the moment I have a PIR in the kitchen on its own zone. The PIR will need to be repositioned in the new kitchen.

I think I physically need to disconnect the zone wiring from the control panel for the duration of the works, that will make me happier and make life easier for the numerous different trades that will be coming and going.

I have 2 questions

1)Can I just disconnect the wires in the control panel for that zone or do I need to take the anti tamper wires out of the daisy chain as well?

2)I get neurotic about setting the alarm off when working on the system, what will be the correct sequence of events? When I originally installed the system the last thing I did was connect backup battery and connect mains. If I disconnect mains and battery backup will it set the alarm off because it thinks I am up to no good!

I obviously have access and programming codes as well as user code.

Your words of wisdom would be much appreciated.

Guest roonster

On my system when if both mains and battery are disconnected then the bellbox sounds.

But if you go into engineers mode then this should disable the anti tampers. So you could disconnect the bellbox from its internal battery.

Then when you take off mains, and then the battery the bell box wont sound.

You will need to remove both the tamper loop and the zone loop wires.

place a small piece of wire in between the terminals on the pcb where you removed the 2 zone loop wires to link it out and do the same to where the tamper wires are connected, then remove the remaining power wires from the aux supply terminals on the pcb.

Remember to disconnect the mains supply before opening the lid of the panel as mains can and does kill people

If the alarm sounds after removing the mains then your backup battery is faulty and should be replaced before you go any further.

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

As long as you've got the programming code, all you need to do is put the panel in programming mode, open the lid of the pir in the kitchen- nothing should sound, take out all the wires of the pir being careful not to short out the 0v and 12v, the just link the two alarm wires together and the two tamper wire together preferably in some connector block, then take the panel out of programming mode and you should have no tampers

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Bellman's way sounds less complex though :whistle:

Mark Hawks

Ner thinking about it, if builders chop through wire then the alarm will go off

Mark Hawks

Believe me mate, builders are comparable with most forms of pond life when it comes to intelligence, if they see a wire be it alarm wire or 100mm three phase armoured, they'll cut it if its in their way

Mark Hawks

Archived