Security Installer Community

Optima XM Dead?

efcmandan

Hi all,

just happened across this forum whilst Googling, looks very interesting so it's into the bookmarks!

I have a cheap Optima XM panel that has been here since we moved in, and worked happily all of that time. Just this evening, I was in the cupboard where it is located and only gently banged my back on it. The alarm was triggered immediately! I entered my code, and the alarm went off. Weird, I thought. Then, I noticed a high-pitched squeeking noise from the panel for about ten seconds, then silence.

The 'Power' led is lit, the 'Day' led is lit, all PIR's and shock sensors have power to them, but the keypad is no longer working. From searching this forum, i'm guessing that something is fried inside. I'm keen to take the front off to have a look, but if the alarm activates and the keypad isn't working then I won't be able to turn it off will I?!

We had work done on the system (shock sensors, more PIR's) six months ago, and talked about a new panel with the guy, so I'm going to call him tomorrow anyway. But I'd appreciate some advice if there's a way I can get the system working again, even if it's just temporarily.

And, on the new panel subject, can anyone recommend one? I have four rooms that need covering, door opening things, shock sensors etc.

I have another question about IP cameras but that's for another day I think :)

Dan

Hi Peter,

thanks for the reply.

Sounds like you have a cpu tamper fault the tamper light should be lit.

The only lights lit are the 'Power' and 'Day'.

Try pressing the reset button.

Unfortunately, none of the buttons on the keypad do anything. Not even the Reset :(

But if this doesnt work you may possibly be able to quick fix it by opening the cpu lid and bending the tamper switch.

Ok, I think I can manage that. But I don't want to set the alarm off if I can't enter the code to turn it off. Is there a way to stop the alarm sounding if this does happen? Climb up to the bell box and disconnect it?

When was it last serviced?

Erm, the battery was changed about 18 months ago. We paid for a 'service', but I think we got a guy changing the battery and using his multimeter to check stuff. Perhaps that is a service, I dunno!

Thanks

Dan

The keypad will lockout on tamper, when the tamper clears the keypad will come back to life. Sounds like it is a CPU tamper as Pete says.

A service does involve using a multimeter, it does depend on what you do with it exactly as to whether it can actually be classed as a service though.

Dan,

The optima xm has been around for years but is not usually regarded as a quality peice of equipment among installers.

If the system was not installed by an approved installer then there may be no records to measure against, so a service will be based on what the service engineer expects to find.

You may wish to consider upgrading to a better quality system for long term reliability.

The keypad will lockout on tamper, when the tamper clears the keypad will come back to life. Sounds like it is a CPU tamper as Pete says.

A service does involve using a multimeter, it does depend on what you do with it exactly as to whether it can actually be classed as a service though.

66326[/snapback]

Lurch,

thanks for your reply. If I feel confident in the morning, I'll have a go at bending this tamper switch. More likely that I'll ring the alarm guy and get him to come around with a new box though!

Any recommendations for a similar spec/budget box, with the facility for a remote keypad?

Thanks for your reply.

Dan

Dan,

The optima xm has been around for years but is not usually regarded as a quality peice of equipment among installers.

If the system was not installed by an approved installer then there may be no records to measure against, so a service will be based on what the service engineer expects to find.

You may wish to consider upgrading to a better quality system for long term reliability.

66349[/snapback]

Hi Richl,

I'll be giving our 'alarm guy' a call first thing, see if he can come around tomorrow night and put a new box in. I would have just liked to get the existing one working.

Thanks for your reply

Dan

If you've got an installer in mind the best bet would be to ask him what he'll be fitting. Not much point giving you a list of panels only to find your installer doesn't fit them.

If you have any queries on the one your installer chooses then feel free to come back and ask for opinions on it.

I would have just liked to get the existing one working.

66354[/snapback]

Fair point and I dont blame you for exploring that possibility, however my advice would be to have a system professionally installed and maintained by either a SSAIB or NACOSS approved installer.

Ok guys, thanks for all your help. I'll give 'Bill' a buzz in the morning and see what he says. He'll probably be able to come and fix it, but I think it's time for a new one.

I'll post back his recommendations tomorrow, and would appreciate any advice :)

He'll probably offer you a G3, just so he's not gotta change the panel backplate.

:no:

Ask him what he'd be replacing it with, and at what cost. Then pop by here and ask for advice.

Dave Partridge (Romec Service Engineer)

Archived