Security Installer Community

shutting off power

Guest mrcrow

ACCENTA 8...installed december 1999

my alarm is wired to the upstairs lighting supply

i was shutting this off to do some work on a light switch

as i shut off the supply the alarms sounded and i could not get them to respond to my code to shut them off

i left the power off and took off the cover and disconnected the battery

i reconnected it after a minute or so, replaced the cover, and turned on the mains and was able to reset the tamper circuit.

all is working ok now and i have shut off the power several times as a check and no alarms sounded

i have contacted the installer and they are coming to check out the system..

can anyone shed any light on why this happened and may it be because of the battery being old and needing replaced..

i realise when i disconnected it i made better contacts when refitting and dislodged a lot of dead spiders and such..

the main box is in my garage which is integral to my house..dry and warmish.

i would be grateful for any advise..

yours

gg worrall

somerset

Guest Peter James

It sounds like possibly the battery was not terminated completely, as the system is working ok now when you remove the mains, I cant think of any other logical explanation.

Pete :)

When you say the alarms went off was this inside at the panel or only at the outside box.

Where there any lights showing on the panel when the power was off.

the alarms were ringing in the boxes outside on the house front and rear

i had the power off to lessen the decibels....so there was no day or power lamps on because of that...so i missed out on those observations regarding lamps.

i have now done a few more off ons to see what would happen and all is well

i have read the other replies

perhaps it was the battery connections may have deteriorated since the power has not been off since 2000 when i fitted new lights upstairs.

can anyone comment on the life of the battery and is it normal to change it periodically...i understand there are batteries in the boxes outside as well...

the comment about accenta not liking power cuts reminds me of the electrical storm we had in 2001 when the alarm went off..i just reset it then..

is it not better to wire the live to the alarm system from before the trip fuse..??

i am not electrically minded but that seems the supply would not be interuppted if as was mentioned a light bulb blew...because even that will trip the fuse..

i am in a new house..

thank you for your responses so far...glad i found this site..cheers

ggw

somerset

The reason the alarm system must go after the trip fuse is because it is an electrical device, so like any electrical device it can go faulty. If the power supply goes faulty and begins to draw too much current you need something to shut it off before your house burns down - hence we have MCB's (trip fuses). Now if your MCB's trip everytime your bulbs go and take out the alarm system, the obviouse answer is get an electrician in to put the alarm system onto a seperate MCB.

Dale

Dales right, especially when you say its wired to the lighting circuit.

Colin.

thats a good idea...

there is space on the board for another mcb...and i would feel better if it was on its own..

thanks again.

ps

the alarm supply has an inline fused switch just before the panel with a 3A fuse...is this sufficient protection.

or is a mcb better and would it need to be 3A?

:(

Guest Peter James

It should be a 3amp unswitched spur, And the sudgested battery change should be 5 years (the date that the battery was replaced should always be put on it for that reason)

It should be a 3amp unswitched spur, And the sudgested battery change should be 5 years (the date that the battery was replaced should always be put on it for that reason)

is that for security reasons or safety? it is in the garage opposite the main board..

i can get the switched facing changed to unswitched if really necessary

i think then i would need a mcb on the main board dedicated to the alarm supply?

thanks for the battery info

the system is 4 years old...but i think i will clean the contacts anyway...

what about the batteries in the boxes on the walls are they similar...

i was told they will run out of power in about 20 mins if left ringing...are they smaller..

wish that engineer would turn up...he's working away on another building site..

btw i have switched the alarm system off each morning to see if that blip occurs again and so far no probs....

many thanks again for these helpful replies..

gg worrall

somerset :)

Archived