Security Installer Community

a newbie question

Guest dr.dan

Guest dr.dan

Hi all ;

I am new to all this security stuff.

never used any security device before.

I read about PIR and how they work. i think these are excellent stuff as they even catch any movement.

I have selected some pirs from OPTEX which are hardwired.

My question is do Hardwired PIRs intall as a seperate device , i mean does it require to have a control panel ?

I am planning to install a system (myself with the help of manuals) where PIRS when detects a movement, sound alarm or turn on lights. does this kind of system needs control panels ? or only the PIRs of Optex suffice.

According to "http://www.optexamerica.com/indexes/gen_index.cfm?class=controlpanel" optex does not manufacture control panels any more.

Another question;

You all have seen those car alarms which turns on when anyone touches the car.

Are there any similar devices for home security ? to be fixed on window metal frames and especially metallic fences of homes ????

Please reply.

thankyou in advance

Sincerely

dr.dan

In a word yes you need a control panel

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

This is the security of your home you are dealing with.

If you know nothing about alarms, my only advice would be to get a professional to install it to your requirements.

Most companies offer a free quotation were most of your questions should be answered.

If you don't know......ask.

Control panels doesn't have to be the same brand as the PIR's are. But you definitely need one so you can control your alarms. You might not want sirens go off when you go to take a leak at night OR coming late from club..

Ask for quotations from nearby alarm companies and we can discuss about them.

Guest dr.dan

dear all ;

thank you for you reply .

I do not live in UK. I am in Asia. Here we do not have company who deals in the security of homes. Only some companies who deals with the security of banks. In local electronic appliances market we have only cameras for sale. NO PIR here. so no one knows how to install them . Thats why i have to buy things from web and install it my self.

thanks georghati and monteey . now i know i need control panels along with PIRs.

What about the alarm which turns on when someone touches the metal fence or metallic door or window frame ????

Sincerely

dr.dan

Dr Dan's Shopping List

Control panel

7ah 12volt battery

PIR's

Possibly dual tech's

Door contacts

External sounder

Dummy external sounder

Possibly an internal sounder

Cable

Fixings

Fused spur (if thet have them out there)

I really can't be ar**** with it anymore.

I would buy a basic book for a bit more guidance before you buy anything.

Amazon have a few that will give you clearer help and guidance, also this sites website front end give a lot more info. If you understand the components better then designing a practical system will be easier.

Archived