Security Installer Community

Panel connections

Guest Coop

I've just installed a texecom panel at home and there doesn't seem to be enough connectors on the panel.

Is it usual to connect the tamper circuit in series using those little plastic conector blocks with just the ends of the chain connected to the panel? It doesn't seem like a very elegant way of doing things.

I have 3 PIR's and 2 smoke detectors (not extravagent for a domestic install I'd have thought)all of which need power but the panel connectors aren't able to take 5 wires - so again I had to use the plastic block connectors.

Do more expensive panels have more connectors for things like this or have I missed something?

More expensive panels have different wiring configurations that don't use a global tamper circuit.

Mid to high end panels support EOL or FSL wiring using resistors and detect resistance changes rather than open circuits.

I've just installed a texecom panel at home and there doesn't seem to be enough connectors on the panel.

Is it usual to connect the tamper circuit in series using those little plastic conector blocks with just the ends of the chain connected to the panel? It doesn't seem like a very elegant way of doing things.

I have 3 PIR's and 2 smoke detectors (not extravagent for a domestic install I'd have thought)all of which need power but the panel connectors aren't able to take 5 wires - so again I had to use the plastic block connectors.

Do more expensive panels have more connectors for things like this or have I missed something?

57293[/snapback]

I installed an ADE panel a while ago and, after taking some advice, did exactly the same. You can make it quite neat and tidy, and it keeps the bulk of connections away from the motherboard, minimising the risk of damage during installation.

There are devices you can buy to split up the tampers and show which one is triggered. I'm sure one of the pro's will know and post a link. :)

Hi ,

Act Meters do a tamper splitter , but its not necessary on a small domestic install , as long as you have a continuity tester in your tool box , tampers are straightforward to locate.

Note , you can program unused zones as tampers to give individual tamper indication.

Lyntek made a panel with individual tampers and AUX for each zone , but it was so ugly.... :cry:

57293[/snapback]

I wouldn't have thought you would have too much trouble getting 5 wires into Aux+ and Aux - - are you putting them all directly into the 12V source - (don't wire them in series as you have for the tamper circuit).

Incedentally, if you use the Veritas R8+ (as opposed to the one without the + ) you can use double-end-of-line wiring, which eliminates the need for a tamper circuit, and is more secure.

Try twisting the wires more tightly and open the terminal up a bit with a small screwdriver. There is a small piece of metal in the terminal that clamps down on the wire, so back off the screw a bit more and wiggle the tip of the screw driver in the terminal hole just to open it up a bit.

Trade Member

Many thanks for everyones replies

I wouldn't have thought you would have too much trouble getting 5 wires into Aux+ and Aux - - are you putting them all directly into the 12V source - (don't wire them in series as you have for the tamper circuit).

Incedentally, if you use the Veritas R8+ (as opposed to the one without the + ) you can use double-end-of-line wiring, which eliminates the need for a tamper circuit, and is more secure.

57314[/snapback]

Sorry - surely the power has to be connected in parallel for the powered detectors or have I misunderstood what you've written?

I do indeed have an R8+ with EOL facility but have chosen not to use it as I thought troubleshooting would be easier without. This may sound a bit like the Pet Detector thread, but...........

I realise EOL is more secure (and I might upgrade at some stage) but do domestic burglars really "disarm" individual detectors or do they just kick the back door in?

(PS. I bought the panel because I thought the LCD keypad would help with programming rather than for EOL - remember I'm only a DIY installer)

Many thanks for everyones replies

Sorry - surely the power has to be connected in parallel for the powered detectors or have I misunderstood what you've written?

58162[/snapback]

I think you may have misunderstod, you do indeed need to connect all 12V power conections to devices in parallel.

I do indeed have an R8+ with EOL facility but have chosen not to use it as I thought troubleshooting would be easier without. This may sound a bit like the Pet Detector thread, but...........

58162[/snapback]

Yes, an alarm wired double pole is easier for fault finding as everything is pretty much on or off (open or closed). EOL does require a bit more thought, project for the future if you get bored one day. ;).

I realise EOL is more secure (and I might upgrade at some stage) but do domestic burglars really "disarm" individual detectors or do they just kick the back door in?

58162[/snapback]

In general burglars are retards, they just smash things to pieces. To do the job quickly and efficiently requires brains and burglars don't have any of those. Most domestic burglaries are a simple smash a door down or slip in an open window.

Yep! They kick the door in, grab the DVD and or TV and run down the road like the clappers before anyone has even looked up from their paper!!!! I shouldn't try to analyse the scum who want wot you have but for free! the kit you have installed is perfectly adequate for the deterent value you require,remember an alarm will not stop you getting robbed just reduce the likelihood of it and limit the damage! Its a tough old world out there guys!!!!!.PAUL. :yes:

Archived