Security Installer Community

cannot reset tamper??

Guest miger

Guest miger

I've had a DIY alarm system working perfectly well for years, suddenly (while not set) the tamper light lit and the alarm panel sounded.----------------i cannot reset the system to remove the tamper light,also the panel didn't sound when the cover was removed! --------checked all the PIRS, wiring , contacts, sounder box etc, and they appear fine ---------------------is it the battery?----or a new control panel needed ?

Help!

The alarm didnt sound when the panel cover was removed could be the fact its the panel tamper spring at fault.

Also check the tamper loop is intact and the outside belltamper isnt faulty.

Guest miger

thanks for the reply Dave!

checked all those, strange how it went off for no reason when not even set!

Thought it might be the battery, as disconnecting the mains power sounds the box outside but not the panel!---panel only sounds when mains power put back on

????

A faulty Back up battery can pull the panel down voltage wise, the batts should be changed after a couple of years anyway. This time varies but I change most of my customers every two or three years anyway if needed or not.

It sounds like your battery is faulty and that could cause your problem.

However, it's more likely that you have two problems; your battery and a tamper fault.

I'd suggest you get an engineer to service your alarm and replace your battery.

If you don't know......ask.

Guest miger

if you remove the panel cover, is it the battery that powers the panel sounder then Dave?

Incidentally, i've had the battery since fitted, about 8 years1

No the tamper wouldnt have gone off if the tamper loop was already broken - the battery backs the panel up if mains fails, but if the battery goes faulty it can affect the panel in some strange ways and can damage the charging circuit too.

If technically competent then try linking out the tamper terminals in the panel and then putting the cover back on and pressing reset.

Please be aware of mains voltages in the panel.

Replace the battery and check the panels charging circuit to ensure that it still functions correctly, as a faulty battery will cause the system to continue to charge it and posiibly damage the main pcb.

What panel is it?

Guest miger

Thanks for all the replies Guys! ---i 'll get a new battery and take it from there.

Alarmgard; i'm ashamed to say it's a Wicks' cheapo effort :blush:

If it's an old wickes panel it's probably a

derivative of the Racal rascal panel.

does it have a groove running along the width of the panel

and screws at either end of the groove?

Regards

Bellman

Service Engineer and all round nice bloke :-)

The views above are mine and NOT those of my employer.

Archived