Security Installer Community

NICEIC certificate

Guest Bell-man

Guest Bell-man

Our local fire officer just doesn't understand that testing a fire alarm should be done by a fire alarm engineer. He insists that the client shows him a NICEIC certificate.

I've already quoted the NICEICs own statement:

"...The notes..make it clear that although NICEIC Approved Contractors have been assessed by the NICEIC as having the technical capability to carry out electrical work in compliance with BS7672, the scope of that electrical safety standard does not extend to the operational performance of electrical installations, including those associated with fire detection and alarm systems. ..."

The only solution for me is to sub out the job to a local electrician. He's not an experienced fire alarm engineer so he has to sub to me to do!

Guest IM_Alarms

Thats a wierd one, have you spoken to him directly? Sometimes they just get an idea of what is right and run with it for a while. Do you issue a proper fire alarm completion certificate anyway?

Our local fire officer just doesn't understand that testing a fire alarm should be done by a fire alarm engineer. He insists that the client shows him a NICEIC certificate.

I've already quoted the NICEICs own statement:

"...The notes..make it clear that although NICEIC Approved Contractors have been assessed by the NICEIC as having the technical capability to carry out electrical work in compliance with BS7672, the scope of that electrical safety standard does not extend to the operational performance of electrical installations, including those associated with fire detection and alarm systems. ..."

The only solution for me is to sub out the job to a local electrician. He's not an experienced fire alarm engineer so he has to sub to me to do!

54419[/snapback]

Surely completely wrong? I was under the impression that the NICEIC endorsed certs were simply a service to their members who were capable of performing this task, and were no more credible than any other edition correctly filled in by a qualified person? My NICEIC contractor uses these a lot, but I was never under the impression that a client had been told that only we could provide it being NICEIC approved, more a case of 'you installed it, so you might as well be the ones to test it'.

Stu.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Guest Bell-man

I've spoken to the fire officer. As far as he's concerned he has to have either an NICEIC or ECA certificate. He doesn't care how I do it as long he's got the certificate.

It's like saying I can't drive my car because I havent got a pilots licence.

Your fire officer sounds a right tit. Has he never passed a fire alarm without a NICEIC certificate then? I find that hard to believe. Surely some written confirmation from the NICEIC stating that fire alarms fall outside of the scope of their members inspections should suffice.

If you give him a NICEIC certificate he'll just carry on being a tit for evermore, how many other things does he not understand? Should he be doing this job? I'd have a word with someone else, maybe one of his superiors, perhaps they will listen to common sense.

Your fire officer sounds a right tit. Has he never passed a fire alarm without a NICEIC certificate then? I find that hard to believe. Surely some written confirmation from the NICEIC stating that fire alarms fall outside of the scope of their members inspections should suffice. 

If you give him a NICEIC certificate he'll just carry on being a tit for evermore, how many other things does he not understand? Should he be doing this job? I'd have a word with someone else, maybe one of his superiors, perhaps they will listen to common sense.

54506[/snapback]

Be carefull bellman,we live in the real world if you upset the fire officer he can make your life very difficult in the future,I would suggest caution in going over his head but tact when discussing it further with HIM, :yes: Paul.

Guest Bell-man

I'm not going to do anything to wind him up. After-all, what he says goes, whether it's right or not doesn't matter.

He didn't notice that the property has no smoke detectors in the stairwell even though the top floor is sub-let and he didn't mention anything about strobes for DDA compliance but as long he has a NICEIC certificate on his desk then he's done his job hasn't he. (? Hmm)

Archived