Security Installer Community

control

I think you will find the coax is protected, I too would run a data cable, but my origional response was to clarify that what the CCTV guy had told him was correct.

53738[/snapback]

Im not invloved in the spec at all - I was just concerned for the customer, as this guy is puting in cables only - no job in the pipeline for cameras yet, it was just because the ground was open.

He has used green coax which looks like 'hi-tuff' cable. I was surprised it wasn't armoured - I actually assumed it was until I looked at the end.

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

Im not invloved in the spec at all - I was just concerned for the customer, as this guy is puting in cables only - no job in the pipeline for cameras yet, it was just because the ground was open.

He has used green coax which looks like 'hi-tuff' cable.  I was surprised it wasn't armoured - I actually assumed it was until I looked at the end.

53741[/snapback]

Hi-tuff? Havent seen that for a few years, sort of like armoured without the armour, but a bit stiffer! A bit like that stuff BT use with the horrible vaseline filling? Def. should be ducted or conduited over then, in my book, although you'd probably get away with it. I guess they are thinking they will be able to get power locally if thats all there is.

Stu.

So, I've decided to take my work back underground.... to stop it falling into the wrong hands

Def. should be ducted or conduited over then

Er no dear thats the whole idea of it, its for direct burial. yes ducts are all well and good but not necessary when using this stuff

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Er no dear thats the whole idea of it, its for direct burial. yes ducts are all well and good but not necessary when using this stuff

53933[/snapback]

Is that what it is then?? Green 'hi-tuff'?? Seen green cables around for cameras often during my rounds, assumed they all must be this stuff.

Yup its direct burial cable, we use it quite a lot, its good stuff although a pain in the backside to strip and terminate.

Mark Hawks

Yup its direct burial cable, we use it quite a lot, its good stuff although a pain in the backside to strip and terminate.

53935[/snapback]

You can get armoured then?? Can you get multi core, as in several coax's in one??

You can get armoured then??  Can you get multi core, as in several coax's in one??

53936[/snapback]

Ive never seen a multicore coax, im not sure you could get one somewhere, why would you want one?

Ive never seen a multicore coax, im not sure you could get one somewhere, why would you want one?

53938[/snapback]

Dunno? Don't do CCTV that much (only bog standard). If you have a couple cameras, can you multiplex them down a single coax??

I ve seen multi core coax, although it was originally used in the early days of computer networking, on a site i used to look after the whole place was covered in them. They look like huge armoured cables with bundles of coax cables in them.

I doubt they're still made or if they are, only to order

Mark Hawks

I ve seen multi core coax, although it was originally used in the early days of computer networking, on a site i used to look after the whole place was covered in them. They look like huge armoured cables with bundles of coax cables in them.

I doubt they're still made or if they are, only to order

53941[/snapback]

So for a site with several cameras dotted around, a single armoured to each.

If you had an amusement arcade on the site, with 4 cameras, would you run 4 armours to the arcade??

Archived