Security Installer Community

control

A company has run a load of green coax in our trenches while they are open for some cameras around a site we are wiring. Kind of a 'future proof' thinking.

Bloke who ran them in is a bit of a dingo, tied the end of the cable onto a tree, and ran down the trenches with the drum on a length of batten. and then tried to fit this drum under various tree roots and pipes etc he found in the way!!

He also said that the coax is all that is needed to give the cameras movement controls?? I wanted to get this clarified before we backfill - otherwise it is kind of a pointless exercise.

Email : martin@askthetrades.co.uk

The cameras need power and a video cable, if the cameras are to be PTZ domes then as long as the cameras are powered it is possible to send the signals down the coax too, It is possible where the signal needs its own cable, that it can be converted to coax signal anyway.

Fill away :)

Although......

If the trenches are there anyway, I'd probably prefer to run in something seperate for telemetry. Probably a personal preference thing more than anything. ;)

Yeah i agree, never know what future technology will need.

Mark Hawks

Ex BT Openreach Field Service

Now Self employed telecom and data engineer  www.mphtelecom.co.uk 

Also back doing sub contract work in the security industry.

Retained firefighter Devon and Somerset Fire and Rescue

Although......

If the trenches are there anyway, I'd probably prefer to run in something seperate for telemetry. Probably a personal preference thing more than anything. ;)

53703[/snapback]

agree

tied the end of the cable onto a tree, and ran down the trenches with the drum on a length of batten

Now that is funny :yes: What a dummy! Never heard of steps and broomshank then?

It would be sort of silly not to stick a twisted pair in there also and something for power, even a cat5 UTP in adapteflex would do.

It wouldnt have hurt to run cat5 with the coax, but most people use down the coax telemetry.

The opinions I express are mine and are usually correct!

(Except when I'm wrong)(which I'm not)

Guest MrMcauber

Not sure I would want to just throw a Coax through a trench without some form of protection, if the outer gets knicked with a stone or something during the backfill the screen braids gonna suck in water like a sponge!

If that happens and the braid corrodes, depending on what cables you have run in alongside; it could spell problems for video quality over time....

I would either have it run through some kind of trunking or even used armoured if budget permitted.

Not sure I would want to just throw a Coax through a trench without some form of protection, if the outer gets knicked with a stone or something during the backfill the screen braids gonna suck in water like a sponge!

If that happens and the braid corrodes, depending on what cables you have run in alongside; it could spell problems for video quality over time....

I would either have it run through some kind of trunking or even used armoured if budget permitted.

53735[/snapback]

I think you will find the coax is protected, I too would run a data cable, but my origional response was to clarify that what the CCTV guy had told him was correct.

I think you will find the coax is protected, I too would run a data cable, but my origional response was to clarify that what the CCTV guy had told him was correct.

53738[/snapback]

Yep, green co-ax sounds like direct burial to me, usually is. Could be wrong though.

Either way is fine, depends on budget\time and a bit of personal preference as to whether or not to throw a data cable in.

Archived